• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ebrake woes continue...

posthuman63t

Veteran CEG'er
Sort of an ongoing problem of a year or so...I haven't had my ebrake in use in a year.

First off, years ago I had a problem with my ebrake. I could pull it all the way up, and the rear calipers would never engage. I can't remember what I did at the time, but I wound up buying a used ebrake lever/cable, attatching it, and snapping the line that was on it. Since then I bought another used ebrake lever w/ cable and played with the adjuster and got it hooked up today. Connected the lines under the heatsheild and got everything all good. I played with the lever and the self adjuster wouldn't do anything, so I used a screwdriver on it and it started to tighten. Well, it tightened all the way and I can't even pull up on the ebrake right now. While its down it is not engaged and if I pull up will alot of force I can get about a click out of it and it will not hold the car at all. I don't know if its the rear cables, the lever or what. The calipers were replaced about a year and a half ago and worked fine at the time. I was looking at my ford cd and seen this picture and I never noticed it before but it looks like there is a spring or cable that holds the bracket (equalizer) from the rear. Can anyone confirm this on their car...mine doesn't have it...Maybe thats a problem...

Attachments

• line.JPG
    line.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 0
ALright, I ordered new rear cables. Took off the pass sid eone and I figured I'd check and see if the caliper was even engaging...and so i pulled the lever and it engaged, but then it wouldn;t disengage. I tried prying the pad away from the rotor and even tried giving the caliper a few whacks and still nothing...any hints (rear calipers are only a year old)

Back