• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

E-brake for track car?

Heywood

Hard-core CEG'er
My e-brake is all jacked up, and I suspect it is the mechanism on the caliper. Because this will be a track car, I was thinking about just deleting the ebrake altoghether. Anyone know if this is generally track legal?

What if you need to leave the car running on an incline?

Fix the ebrake.

Ok, I'll fix it then. It shouldn't be much trouble, just trying to avoid fixing things I don't need anyway.

I've always been interested in an alternative ebrake setup. Specifically for installing larger rotors and calipers.

EDIT: I forgot to include what I found a while back. Wilwood provides some kits, but nothing specific to the Contour of course. They do have a few for the Civic as well as the new Ford Fiesta.

Wilwood Link

brake_kit_140-11900-DR-lg.jpg

Last edited:
it depends on the class that you would be running. if you are talking just track days youd probably be fine, showroom stock classes probably not. the ITC toyota i ran 2 years ago did not have one

It would be up to the sanctioning body if there were one or the coordinators, for lack of a better term, at an event. If you're not on a closed circuit or have a small team at all times you'd want an e-brake. If you're not going over your car in the slightest after each run you'd want an e-brake. The list could go on forever of why you would want one but there's only a handful of reasons why you'd want to run without it. :shrug:

The only reason to have one is if the races are put on by a sanctioning body such as SCCA. Then follow their rules. Usually if it doesn't say you can then you can't! That being said there is no reason to have one. The only classes that SCCA might require them to be there is SS, IT, & ST. There might be one other class but all of the Prod, GT, & Formula classes do not require one.
I've worked on GT cars and we used chocks to keep the car from rolling.

My current track car does not have a E-brake. It's a PIAT to change pads, which you often do on a race car, and the cables on my car were old and i didn't feel like spending money on new ones since they don't make the car faster. As a safety issue it's a non-starter. If you ever has a brake failure on track the last thing I would do is pull the Ebrake. The rear brakes will either barely slow the car down meaning you'll only hit something with a bit less force or they'll lock up the rear wheels and you end up going off track backwards and become a passenger with no control on where the car will go or what it wll hit. I prefer to be able to see where I'm going, what I might hit, and be able to steer away from it if possible.

NASA / scca rules say yes for ebrake inspection. Assuming they check it, mine would have been in the trash, HATE those effing cables

I assume that most clubs would have similar rulez

As Jim pointed out it's going to depend on your class as well. SCCA GT 1 cars are not going to have an e-brake. I'd be surprised if the NASA unlimited X or whatever it was called required them.

Perhaps it's something they always overlook, but that doesn't sound like any sanctioning body, or anybody that gives a crap about the next guy. Here is an example of an SCCA car that clearly states the parking brake has been removed while nothing is listed that could be assumed to replace it. There's also a link on that page to T2-T4 class rules. Not working for me though.
pdf's don't sit well with my computer...

http://www.c66racing.com/SCCAT2Vette.htm

Last edited:
Back