• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

E-brake cable tension reset question.

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
I replaced my rear e-brake cables yesterday. The car is back together and the e-brake actually works. I have much less resistance and the handle pulls up much much higher than before. Before it would barely pull up and i had to pull hard. Yes my old cables did not move freely and were shot.

First I am wondering if when pulling the e-brake handle, it pulling quite easily, and the handle pulling up far is how it is supposed to be? I was so used to my old cables that this is a drastic change that i am not used to.

Second I am asking if it is at all possible to reset the cable tension on the handle without disconnecting the rear cables from the equalizer because I am a dumb ass and did not thoroughly read the tension reset procedure before I put the car back together. I don't want to have to take the heat shield back off if i don't need to.

Now if the answer to my first question is "that is the correct operation" than I have no need to reset the tension.

Here is a pic of the handle pulled up as far as I can get it.
IMAG0296.jpg

Thanks!

Iirc the cable is adjusted everytime the handle is operated. I would check to male sure that the cable is sitting in the groove of the handle correctly. I bet it's pushed open and causing the cable to not tension as it should.

i know that for inspection in in Missouri that the handle should go to a max of 6-8 clicks and hold the car in a 20* incline. if your in that range then you should be fine.

whatever you do, don't keep tugging up on it. I made that mistake when I changed mine out, now my handle goes all the way up and the brakes have little tension, the guide that the cable sits in on the handle bent away and the cable slipped into the groove and out of its proper spot.

While I have not taken the center console off to look at it. It works just fine. It holds the car on very steep hills. I don't pull the handle up any farther then needed to hold the car.

ya i had the same problem with mine b4. i changed out the cables & kept my orig. handle assembly & after a few pulls testing it out the cable slipped the groove it was in & now i have to pull it all the way up to hold. it does hold the car the, anything lower it will not grab.

Back