• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Duratec 37 in the SVT???

Hydrargyrum

Veteran CEG'er
A buddy of mine owns a Mazda 6 that was basically demolished a few weeks ago. The entire rear end was practically cut of when someone plowed into it on the passanger side rear end...

So the question is, how difficult would it be to transplant the Duratec 37 into the CDW platform? I know it has been discussed, but I cannot find anything about it here which goes into details...

I can prob get my hands on that engine, which was untouched. Just a thought.

Hahahaha, you are a baaaad man! :laugh:

I never read a complete answer as to why it won't fit? Is it a physical fitment issue? Is it the ECU? Trans won't mount ... etc etc ... I know that these things have variable valve timing and all that stuff, but what else would preclude a transplant.

Other than the WP, the engine looks no different than the normal 3L. If we were to take the complete motor and transplant it in there, what would be the main issue?

Hahahaha, you are a baaaad man! :laugh:

I never read a complete answer as to why it won't fit? Is it a physical fitment issue? Is it the ECU? Trans won't mount ... etc etc ... I know that these things have variable valve timing and all that stuff, but what else would preclude a transplant.

Other than the WP, the engine looks no different than the normal 3L. If we were to take the complete motor and transplant it in there, what would be the main issue?

If it is VVT, then you need a whole new wiring harness, ECU...

The wiring harness and a new ECU is a given... The biggest concern is the actual physical fitment of the engine. Will it fit w/o major problems, and does it mate up with the MTX-75? I can't even imagine how nice it would be to have it in there, w/headers and an open exhaust... That would be seriously sick.

On a sidenote, if it is able to be done, it may even cost less then going the fully built Turbo route... ;)

It will fit right in. Do it.

Seriously though, in all likelihood nobody has probably ever given it serious consideration to figure out if its realistic or not because of the fact that an entire donor car would probably be needed. Aside from the ECU and wiring, no doubt the mounting points and everything else are in the wrong spots which would require some special fab work. The steering and suspension would probably be in all the wrong spots as well so you might need to transplant all that stuff too. Or some kind of weird frankenstein front end mixture of the two.

Be a trailblazer. Make it happen.

Open exhaust doesn't belong on anything but a race car. It would sound like chit on a street car. Leave that krap for the ricers.

It isn't a matter of will it fit, it is simply Why Bother? By the time you waste 6 months of work to install it and get it to run you could have put a tuned up 3.0 turbo for the same money as what you would spend in fabrication work.

The bolt pattern for the bellhousing on the mtx-75 I believe (all duratecs after 98 share a common bellhousing pattern, I know the duratec 35 is the same pattern, and the 37 is just bored 3mm over), though I don't know if it will fit (I don't think it would fit without a bit of modification)..... with a 3.0 swap, you swap on the 2.5 timing cover to make it fit. There are a couple other minor spots you need to alter to fit the 3.0, but yeah....

After that, you would need an ECU, full wiring harness, and the cluster from the mazda. I am not sure how the rest of the sensors and such from elsewhere (like transmission, ABS and such) would hook into the system.

Then there is the question, WHY? NEVER do it just to be different. Anyone who says they are doing it just to be different is a liar and a bastard, and they will never do it (if they do complete it, they were lying when they said they were doing it just to be different). Only do something because it will be substantially better, because that is the only way you will have any motivation to keep going. You wouldn't swap a Cologne 2.9 into a Contour would you? It would be different.... Just build a 3.0 for less work and probably less money than you would have into trying to make this work. Plus you won't have to have your car out of commission for the next year or so while you are trying to figure it out.

Some of us like to do things, just to prove the 'impossible' can be done. To each their own.

I say go for it, if you are willing to put in the labor, it's going to be a lot.

Most odd transplants like this I have seen done,(mainly in the Nissan area) required massive computer tuning and massive wiring harness modification. You basically need to keep both wiring harnesses and cut out the areas you will not be using. If you would not consider yourself to be highly experienced in wiring and electronics, I would go another route.

Some of us like to do things, just to prove the 'impossible' can be done.

Well.... that is kind of completely different.....

If it can be done, it is not impossible, if one is saying that it is possible but not worth it, it is not impossible either. No one has said this is impossible, they have just said it is not worth it when you can get the same results from much less work. Why use a toy shovel to dig your basement when you have a backhoe?

i say that if you can get the whole car, and have another car to drive while your contour is out of commission then go for it. yes it will take a lot of fab work, but if a 5.0 can be shoe horned into a focus, or a 460 can be wedged into a pinto then a 3.7 from a mazda6 can fit in a contour. screw the naysayers and do it, to be different or just to do it doesn't matter.

I remember asking it on facebook during CEG blackout and got that it would require a complete harness swap/mod, custom mounts (probably easiest part) and custom CV halfshafts/axles... there might be more

The engine would have to be lower...cause the shafts would be rotating on an angle....case closed...
Because lowering the engine itself for the axles to function properly..would result in a whole new from sub frame being built. Unless you want to build a new cradle...to hold the engine and suspension brackets/mounts etc etc...it's def not worth it.

This was researched and reviewed years ago.

Seriously?!!! Why?

There's a tried and true formula that has been used for over a decade now. Why mess with that? Anything is possible. Why not a 5.0? Why not a 4.6? Why not the SHO's twin-turbo V6? We can go on and on, but the reality is unless you have an endless budget and time there's no reason to waste your time unless you want to do something for the contour community as a whole. People that came before you like the folks at NPG and PRT haven't wasted their time on here asking others what they could do or why they couldn't do something, instead they go into their garages and make things happen. The fact that you have to ask proves that you're not ready to take on such a task.

I feel like the mods need to start a section for "stupid crap people ask if you can do to your contour".

Ah too much fun.

To answer the question, which I swear it has been answered time and time again, the block is longer then the Duratec 25 and 30. So when you mount the trans to it, it would not fit in the same space, which would then require engine bay modifications, custom CV shafts, just to name a couple. Is it possible? Sure. Will anyone do it, probably not. Why you ask? Because the same power can be made from a 3.0L with modifications for a lot less time and money compared to what you would have into making the Duratec 35 or 37 work.

That should answer your question if I am not mistaken.... plus this post is old people. Why bring things back from the dead.

a guy put a fully built 300zx twin turbo engine in a 90's mazda mpv because the transmission was the same....

if you want a 3.7l duratec, I'd imagine you could have a shop pull out the 3.0 sleeves, hog out the original cylinder walls, and drop in replacement 3.7l sleeves. now put in the 3.7l pistons with the 3.0 rotating assembly and voila, a very expensive way to add another scooter engine worth of displacement....

I think a better place for the 3.7l is to drop a mustang v6 engine and trans into a lincoln ls....

a guy put a fully built 300zx twin turbo engine in a 90's mazda mpv because the transmission was the same....

if you want a 3.7l duratec, I'd imagine you could have a shop pull out the 3.0 sleeves, hog out the original cylinder walls, and drop in replacement 3.7l sleeves. now put in the 3.7l pistons with the 3.0 rotating assembly and voila, a very expensive way to add another scooter engine worth of displacement....

I think a better place for the 3.7l is to drop a mustang v6 engine and trans into a lincoln ls....

Except I pretty sure you don't have the material to do that with the water jackets and oil return paths to do that... so no go.

Except I pretty sure you don't have the material to do that with the water jackets and oil return paths to do that... so no go.

I've seen open deck honda race engines with nothing but cast iron drop in cylinders that stand alone from the aluminum block, if you want to waste money just about anything can be done...

I mean, why not just build a whole new engine from billet with whatever displacement you can think of? for that matter, if we're wasting money, I'm sure it would be a lot easier to just have a custom forged crank built with longer billet rods for a stroker engine....

the limitations are about 12 bolts of mounting, a bell housing pattern, and the volume of the engine bay minus the MTX75....

Back