• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

dpfe sensor problem

don't the metal ones fail from time to time on our cars? i replaced mine with the plastic one a while ago. but dang! must be a furnace under there. mine is too. i guess i should check mine regularly.

well my CEL came on this afternoon. i forgot the specific code. but it was the one about DPFE sensor hose off. so i checked it and sure enough, the larger hose had popped off. in fact, the larger nipple on the sensor just like brian's had melted too. just not to the same extent as his. other than the heat, backpressure causes this, right? i've got a 2 1/2" catback exhaust with an unknown cat, and dual magnaflow mufflers.

well my CEL came on this afternoon. i forgot the specific code. but it was the one about DPFE sensor hose off. so i checked it and sure enough, the larger hose had popped off. in fact, the larger nipple on the sensor just like brian's had melted too. just not to the same extent as his. other than the heat, backpressure causes this, right? i've got a 2 1/2" catback exhaust with an unknown cat, and dual magnaflow mufflers.

yes backpressure would cause it to pop off. I got that same code before also. I believe mine melted because with my issue bank 1 is running lean. also on a tune the pcm will lean the whole engine out and I was running it hard in 90 degree heat ....

yes backpressure would cause it to pop off. I got that same code before also. I believe mine melted because with my issue bank 1 is running lean. also on a tune the pcm will lean the whole engine out and I was running it hard in 90 degree heat ....

i did run it a bit today tho. but the light was already on. so how did u end up solving urs? or did u? my next line of action is getting a metal one even tho they fail, and a 3" trubendz exhaust for free flow.

i did run it a bit today tho. but the light was already on. so how did u end up solving urs? or did u? my next line of action is getting a metal one even tho they fail, and a 3" trubendz exhaust for free flow.

I clamped them on as suggested previously in this thread. So far it hasn't been an issue. and the repeated P0401 I was getting was I broke the vacuum solenoid so the egr valve wasn't openning because it never saw any vacuum. Still using a metal one at the moment.

also the correc way to solve the problem would be to move the pressure reference to the down side of the turbo ....

i'm still not sure i get what u're saying brian. what exactly did u re-route to solve the backpressure issue?

you gotta move the EGR sample tube from the header (before the turbine) to the down pipe (after the turbine)

for what its worth, i clamped my hose on the DPFE but i am still getting codes for EGR flow excessive/insufficient. i think it has trouble with the boosted pressure, which is the reason for moving the sampling tube further down the exhaust piping.

Who the heck uses egr with there turbo cars? Silly kids

It has the benefit of allowing the engine to run cooler, which is even more beneficial for a turbo car. But if the sensor can't handle the increased pressure at the down pipe, then it's good bye!

Thats why my car has MI registration even though I live in IL. I deleted the DPFE, EGR, no downstream O2s. I do have a main cat tho...at least it has some material left in there last I checked.

Yeah yeah, I know its not the clean way to go, but I really only drive the car in the summer months so I just claim it to 'live' in MI.

You can pass federal smog with two incomplete engine monitors.

problem is CT is getting smart about that. more then likely a friend of mine in his tune ended up with the lower O2 sensors turned off. my understanding is that tuners do that to dial in the car better. well over 6 months after he passed emissions he got a letter from the state saying that he had best restore his pcm to stock they detected the use of an aftermarket tuner and that next time the car would fail on site ...

problem is CT is getting smart about that. more then likely a friend of mine in his tune ended up with the lower O2 sensors turned off. my understanding is that tuners do that to dial in the car better. well over 6 months after he passed emissions he got a letter from the state saying that he had best restore his pcm to stock they detected the use of an aftermarket tuner and that next time the car would fail on site ...

wow! :eek:

yup, happened to two people that I know. best I can figure between what I know and what the SCT website says is that something is adjusted/turned off/what ever in the tune that is being picked up on and test adjusted to account for this.

and imho its complete crap. here we are trying to get more power but by doing it right ... a tuned car will be better for the environment anyway. I mean how many hondas etc are out there with black bumpers from running so rich/poorly/etc? :nonono:

here is the letter
http://members.cox.net/brapple205/2180824060088155272NAZOOL_fs.jpg

a friend of mine in his tune ended up with the lower O2 sensors turned off. my understanding is that tuners do that to dial in the car better. well over 6 months after he passed emissions he got a letter from the state saying that he had best restore his pcm to stock they detected the use of an aftermarket tuner and that next time the car would fail on site ...
This has to do with an aftermarket tune, not the unfinished monitors. Unfortunately, the PCM is considered an emissions device and it is therefor a federal offense to "tamper with" or otherwise modifiy it... i.e. change the programming. This is hy you fix any hard faults and put the factory tune back in before taking it in to get emissions done.

This has to do with an aftermarket tune, not the unfinished monitors. Unfortunately, the PCM is considered an emissions device and it is therefor a federal offense to "tamper with" or otherwise modifiy it... i.e. change the programming. This is hy you fix any hard faults and put the factory tune back in before taking it in to get emissions done.

isn't the xcal2 50 state legal though? and sometime it isn't feasable to just tune back to stock, like in my case, I would need to remove the turbo setup and swap injectors ...

also I seem to remember reading on the SVT forum that they where able to correct a tune that someone had that didn't pass emissions and afterwards it did ...

Last edited:
Back