• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

data logging help!

icysvt

Addicted CEG'er
I feel like an idiot here. I have been searching all over and even reading on sct's website. I cant for the life of me figure out how to get the xcal and my laptop together to do some data logging. Pleas some one link me to some good instructions or be so kind as to explain it to someone that is ultamitely computer retarded lol. I want to get some logging time done so I can get this car nicely tuned. Thanks in advance guys!

Never mind guys I think I got it now lol Starjammir hooked me up and talked me thru it. I'll do some logging on my way home from work tonight so we can see how this 3l is doing:cool: Guess we can lock this up

Well if you have time post what you have learned for others who plan on doing this. I know at one point i was going to download some stuff but that quickly went out the window because my tuner did everything for me :)

Yeah Trey explain whats needed to be done, I am datalogging retarded too:laugh:
it really would be hard to try to type it out and anyone understand lol. Bill called me and walked me thru the whole process. I wouldnt care to do the same for some one either....

Pm me your numbers and Ill do the same for everyone else. Lemme know when you want me to walk you through it.

i had issues too. my problems mostly came from my having windows vista. i dropped vista and went with xp. no problems since then. like all have said, its almost impossible to outline everything here. one thing's for sure though... livload 3, livelink 3, and sct livelink must be downloaded for the xcal to recognize and execute the program.

Well this just seriously sucks then cause I need to get the datalogging done to get to Joey so he can adjust my tune and get it right.

I don't think it would help.. the VMware would still be run natively through the Vista hardware layer.. all the ports, irq's etc are still derived from the original OS. The thing about VMware(et al) is that the software (VMware) and the programs run inside it don't "know" that it is anything other than a single OS. They (including the OS) can't see "outside" of itself.

However, all the operations are actually being passed from the original OS, and anything that would have been a troublesome thing in Vista is still going to be troublesome in VMware as it would be getting the hardware, libraries, or system functions from Vista anyway.

At least... that's my guess.

It would be far simpler and quicker to dual boot XP..

You need an bootable XP CD, a spare partition (read: different drive letter from the one you currently have Vista on) and about an hour of your time.

You simply pop the CD in the drive, reboot, boot from the CD when prompted and install it as normal.. the only difference would be that when you are prompted to choose WHERE to install, it will say "you've already got a version of windows; do you want to install over this one or choose another location".. obviously, you choose another location.

Then choose the other drive letter, and install. when done, you will end up with a boot menu upon power up that says

• Windows Vista
  • Windows XP

and you choose at each boot...

tada

(note: you CAN dual boot from the same drive(partition) but its not recommended...)

HOLY CRAP:shocked:Then what I will have to do is take my old laptop and do a wipe on the system (what I was planning to do and give it to my son) and use that, its got windows xp. Its just an older laptop and slow, but hopefully it will still work.

HOLY CRAP:shocked:Then what I will have to do is take my old laptop and do a wipe on the system (what I was planning to do and give it to my son) and use that, its got windows xp. Its just an older laptop and slow, but hopefully it will still work.

OOOOOOR u could take the trouble and go to sct website, and in the troubleshooting section search "vista". that comes up with steps to follow if u use windows vista. i tried it but failed, so i just went back to xp. if not, do it the way u wanted. i don't think speed will be an issue. probably only when downloading the programs required.

Back