• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

continuing quest for good sound!

reddired

Veteran CEG'er
ok, i've been reading up on Y-pipes.
It seems that the best Y-pipe is the optimized factory.
i have a 1998 SE and I'm looking for better sound on a fixed budget.
pls tell me:

1. cost of buying used (optimized) y-pipe
2. sound difference
3. performance difference......if any.

i'm currently running stock 2.5" with the resonator replaced with straight pipe and factory muff replaced with a magnaflow. my current sound is nice but a little too tame.
Thanks!

1. cost of buying used (optimized) y-pipe
2. sound difference
3. performance difference......if any.

1. $75-100
2. Not much sound difference, just a little at top end. You opened the exhaust tone mostly by removing/replacing the resonator and muffler.
3. Performance you will gain throughout the power band. You will notice this mod for sure.

It'll be a little louder for sure. Will find out in a few days, Onimitsu will be doing his in a few days so we'll have a direct comparison.

I had an optimized y on my Mystique and now on the SVT but when I did the Y's on both cars I did it with a full catback...

It'll be a little louder for sure. Will find out in a few days, Onimitsu will be doing his in a few days so we'll have a direct comparison.

I had an optimized y on my Mystique and now on the SVT but when I did the Y's on both cars I did it with a full catback...

i'll stay tuned.

thanks

Why don't you do the mystery mod/ gut the precats. Since you still have your main cat??

not such a bad idea. I still have ALOT to learn about these cars so I ask tons of questions. i think i may go to the JY this Sat and see if I can find some precats and gut them myself. Thats if I'm lucky enough to find some.

I'm guessing the "gut" process is basically punching through them then shaking the "guts" out of them.....right? I'm going to have to search this on here.

not such a bad idea. I still have ALOT to learn about these cars so I ask tons of questions. i think i may go to the JY this Sat and see if I can find some precats and gut them myself. Thats if I'm lucky enough to find some.

I'm guessing the "gut" process is basically punching through them then shaking the "guts" out of them.....right? I'm going to have to search this on here.

There is tons of info on this. Also don't buy a used set!!!

Punch out the set you have already on your car!!!! It's 1000000X easier!!

There is a how-to on this in the duretec performance section.

hey u called bagged yesterday?
i was over there.
we were bbq-ing, drinking, working on cars.
shoulda came over!

I was just getting out of my car too go out to dinner with my girl and her mom. It's the time you have to put in with the parents before popping the big question:help:

If i get a call earlier i'll would of been able to make it.

I spoke to alias earlier, the way he made it sound, it was for them both. He didn't invite me or even say anything for me to come:shrug: .

I've noticed he is kinda protective of bagged.:laugh:

I was just getting out of my car too go out to dinner with my girl and her mom. It's the time you have to put in with the parents before popping the big question:help:

If i get a call earlier i'll would of been able to make it.

I spoke to alias earlier, the way he made it sound, it was for them both. He didn't invite me or even say anything for me to come:shrug: .

I've noticed he is kinda protective of bagged.:laugh:

just read this........:laugh:
jared...:nonono:
:laugh:
good luck on poppin the ? .

Back