• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

congestion charge?

AliasJerk

Addicted CEG'er
I watch Top Gear a lot, and I hear JM, JC, and RH banging on about congestion charge and how its something like 8 pounds a day.

What is the story behind it? Am I led to believe that say.. in London you guys have to pay 8 quid a day just to drive around in a city at less than 20 miles per hour all day?

First of all only 16% of the population of the UK live in the Greater London area so most of us haven't a clue about it or even get involved with it because we don't go there. Some of the other big cities, Birmingham, Manchester etc have looked into it but as yet the juries out on whether it spreds around the country. The charge is only applied to the very centre of London so most of the capitals roads do not carry a charge to use, it is designed, so the authorities say, to reduce the volume of traffic in the city by getting folks to leave their car at home and use public transport thus preventing gridlock. However it is also a nice little earner for the local government as if you don't pay up if you enter the congestion charge zone, even inadvertantly , which is covered by CCTV monitoring with licence plate recognition, a nice little fine arrives in your letter box.
Apart from a few bridges around the country all other roads are free to drive on, oh with the exception of a relief section of motorway north of Birmingham called the M6 Toll Road, which is meant to take the pressure off the main M6 motorway through the West Midlands, it's a superb road but not used to capacity and truckers largely avoid it because of the charge so it has had little effect on the volume of traffic on the main motorway.
Don't know if you are any the wiser from that mate. Oh and you are out on the speed, the last time it was calculated the average speed during peak hours in central London was 8 mph and not much better in other cities, Birmingham where I live is is about 12 mph.

Last edited:
*groans*

thats AWFUL, but makes sense now. whats the point in driving in the center of the city when average speed is 8mph? walking is faster.

Living in Michigan I have never had to pay a toll or a fee or anything of that matter to use a road in my life... Wait, I take that back, I was on the ohio turnpike last week, so I had to pay $4.50 to use it once.

Other than that I have never paid any toll of any kind to use a road... The only reason why its worth it to live in Michigan. lol

Where would you pay this "congestion charge"? From your post it apperars that if you don't pay it you will get a fine (ticket) in the mail.

I believe, bear in mind I am from Birmingham and never drive in central London, you apparently either pay, online or at an authorised payment point such as a filling station, certain stores etc, all easy and convenient, prepayment or by midnight on the day the charge is incurred The payment is against the vehicle registration number ( licence plate) not the driver. A fine is issued if the payment is not made on time

just to add that the charge applies from 7am to 6pm monday to friday and residents within the congestion charge zone are entitled to a 90% discount providing they register (annually) for it.
there is no charge on bank holidays or for the first 3 days after december 26th (these do not have to be 3 days in a row)

just to add that the charge applies from 7am to 6pm monday to friday and residents within the congestion charge zone are entitled to a 90% discount providing they register (annually) for it.

This is why it's such a bloody joke. Now it's been extended to Kensington and Chelsea, they can all drive into Central London dirt-cheap!!

There is talk on it rolling out through the country, Edinburgh has been talking about it too to keep the traffic out.

They are introducing the trams again so dont think it would be before that.

Back