• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Computer+car? Wiring?

98Mystique2

CEG'er
Wiring a computer for a car.. how would i do this... My mom had an old samsung moniter (lcd) that had issues, wouldnt display anything etc... so i took it apart... replaced a couple blown capacitors and now i'm back in business, what would it take to wire this up to work on 12v... and have a computer hooked up to run it too... i was thinking i know they sell 12v cold cathod lights could i take the old ones out and slap new ones in... the display driver i think only needs like 12v and 5 v.... so i'm hoping thats dc...
how about a computer... how would i wire that up

Im just wondering i guess if anyone's done this before on here, if not i'll try and head to a "carputer" forum or something..

Yeah i've been looking into it and the more i look at the monitor the more i realize how stupid it is for this car... the monitor (though only 19 inches) is a 5:4 aspect ratio and there's nowhere it'll fit... so i'm thining of postponing this for a bit atleast

Yeah i've been looking into it and the more i look at the monitor the more i realize how stupid it is for this car... the monitor (though only 19 inches) is a 5:4 aspect ratio and there's nowhere it'll fit... so i'm thining of postponing this for a bit atleast

I'd recommend a touch screen, much more user friendly when in a car environment.

I'd recommend a touch screen, much more user friendly when in a car environment.
If i had the time money and effort i would do that... but i have no money and an extra screen so it was more of a what can i do with this... but i could imagine i'd have motion issues with it in cold weather too... so this project is canceled for now

basically there is alot of of concern when putting a computer into a car but it is an awesome idea. im doing one myself. The major things you have to think of is the vibrations and ease of access like touch or no touch screen, and type of functions your going to use the computer for (which are endless), also sound if your going to run it through the sound system. everything in the computer uses a 12V power source but what runs it all is the power supply. so just run the power for the power supply from something like a cig lighter with a I/O switch in between it or run right from the battery with a inline fuse and switch. really cool concept unlike the computer in cars today which dont give you the flexiblilty to add or use it they way you want. happy modding!

basically there is alot of of concern when putting a computer into a car but it is an awesome idea. im doing one myself. The major things you have to think of is the vibrations and ease of access like touch or no touch screen, and type of functions your going to use the computer for (which are endless), also sound if your going to run it through the sound system. everything in the computer uses a 12V power source but what runs it all is the power supply. so just run the power for the power supply from something like a cig lighter with a I/O switch in between it or run right from the battery with a inline fuse and switch. really cool concept unlike the computer in cars today which dont give you the flexiblilty to add or use it they way you want. happy modding!

Not everything in the computer is 12v...a lot is 5 and other stuff

I have thought about it in the past. Thought about using a cheap atom board that uses a dc plug, a SSD and touch screen monitor. Something like the Foxconn 330i would be almost perfect. The question is what interface do you want to use

Back