• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Code Help Please: P0156 & P1131

GoodSon

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I am trying to freshen up my moms car which is a 96 Contour V6 Duratec auto with 68K original miles completely stock. Her CEL comes on with two codes. P1056-Sensor circuit malfunction, bank 2 sensor 2, and P1131-Manufacturer Controlled Fuel and Air metering. I picked up a Bosch O2 sensor #13133 for the first code. It was dangling a few inches off the ground and looked beat up. The 2nd code (P1131) has me confused. Does anybody know what the problem might be.TIA.

Last edited:
I just got P1131 last night, I cleared the code, drove to work today, no CEL yet. Good information there, I hope I do not need. It was very damp (heavy dew) maybe that messed it up..

... It was very damp (heavy dew) maybe that messed it up..

Maybe it was but what I "usually" get is P0136. Got it Tuesday, cleared it and it has not come back. I was driving for 10 hours in the rain last Friday (Ernesto).

The previous time I got the same code was about a year ago; which was the next time after I drove 4 hours in the pouring rain.

I suspect it was the O2 connectors or the mileliminator connectors.

Last edited:
That would be the upstream sensor at the firewall. Under the coilpack. Have fun.

Steve

Dang, what a royal PITA for just a sensor. I will say Ford definetly utilized every bit of space in the engine bay. Getting to the senor will still be a pain with the coilpack removed.

I just got P1131 last night, I cleared the code, drove to work today, no CEL yet. Good information there, I hope I do not need. It was very damp (heavy dew) maybe that messed it up..

Nah, it wasn't the dew that caused it..

A fault such as this requires that the OBD-II test fail on at least two consecutive drive cycles in which the test was performed and failed. Your optimism is premature.

Dang, what a royal PITA for just a sensor. I will say Ford definetly utilized every bit of space in the engine bay. Getting to the senor will still be a pain with the coilpack removed.

Yep. Done that one twice already in about 140K miles.

Steve

"Your optimism is premature." Yes.

In 2 drive cycles the light comes back, my wallet is going to be lightened down at the dealer parts counter in 30 Minutes. :blackeye: Of course it's the Rear sensor!

Last edited:
Back