• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clutch & Header Install

Today's progress pics:
Flywheel and manifolds off
DSCI0050.jpg

Another shot of the destroyed flywheel
DSCI0051.jpg

The mess of a garage
DSCI0052.jpg

Tyler installing the headers
DSCI0053.jpg

Flywheel on
DSCI0054.jpg

Clutch installed
DSCI0055.jpg

Cleaned and touched up engine bay
DSCI0056.jpg

More cleaning

DSCI0057.jpg

Trans installed
DSCI0058.jpg

Here we go again....
DSCI0060.jpg

huh, i would have figured it would be easier to drop the cradle out...

Not really :laugh: I like pulling them out the top, just I pull the radiator/fans, Y pipe, water pump, water hoses, intake manifolds, coil pack, etc as well as what they removed out first to make sure it comes out easy :)

if you drop the whole cradle your messing with the power steering and lines, and the radiator/fans, the AC lines, etc. its more work IMO. we left the radiator there, and most of the cooling hoses. the wiring harness all stayed on the engine too.

ah, i forgot about the powersteering stuff. never pulled the motor from a contour, but did swap motors in the fiero. a whole lot simpler!

i never liked working on the SVT, since it was so crammed in there. lookin good kyle!

Car is done - Ill post up the pics later. We finished around noon today - damn car is a whole new beast with a 3+ clutch. Sounds way different too - more performance orianted with the headers...

I have no power steering and it leaks like a civ where it connects to the motor by the motor mount.. I dont know why - but we tried terflon tape and rtv with no luck... I added fluid to the ps resivor and did lots of steering cycles with no luck - I'm going to probably bring it into a shop this week and have them take a look - I'm sick of working on this car for now :crazy:

that or, you have no clue how to do it and are too scared to ask me? lol. i wouldnt' touch that stupid pump, i'd weld it till it stopped! lol j/k

Hehe - I guess I could pull the motor mount and try and track down the leak. It could be comming from below that fitting - it is very hard to tell....

ah, i forgot about the powersteering stuff. never pulled the motor from a contour, but did swap motors in the fiero. a whole lot simpler!

i never liked working on the SVT, since it was so crammed in there. lookin good kyle!

No way, they're not that bad :) I have done a lot of things on GM cars that should've been so simple yet ended up ugly :laugh:

Did you leave the pump on the engine or in the car? I usually just unbolt it and hang it off on the car without removing any lines.

Did you leave the pump on the engine or in the car? I usually just unbolt it and hang it off on the car without removing any lines.

We just undid the lines off the pump and left it on the engine. I do not know why it would start to leak - it could be leaking from under the fitting. It is very hard to see anything because of the nature of the fitting and the motor mount is blocking any investagative looking. It leaked with lots of teflon and some RTV - so it is probably not leaking from that fitting - probably from under it.. We wrapped the chain under the motor mount - so it is possible that we tweaked the fitting and now it is leaking...

Back