• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clogged Cats

As stated above Fords older PCM software had recorded a false emissions failure for the catcon. They had revised updates for the PCM.

A quick and easy way to see if the converter is plugged is to see if the outlet is colder than the inlet. If it is then it is plugged. Or you can go to a Ford dealer and see if their is an update for the PCM.

The "PCM update" was only applicable to 98s.

Steve

I have a similar problem

I have a similar problem

I do believe at the high mileage i have, my studder is caused by clogged cat/s.

I have been hearing a heat shield type rattle recently and noticed a drop in power. I am currently running 93 in my car, typically do(ill put in 89 every three or four fills ups.) I have used the lucas injector treatment and it makes a world of a difference. I haven't used it lately, but will see if it helps.

I'm also going to jack up the tour today and get a temp reading on the cat that is making noise. I'll let you guys know!

My cat clogged at about 70,000 miles and the Bat high flow cat has lasted over 100,000 miles for me. I'm also still on my original precats. No CEL's yet and I'm still getting almost 30 mpg on the highway.

T

My cat clogged at about 70,000 miles and the Bat high flow cat has lasted over 100,000 miles for me. I'm also still on my original precats. No CEL's yet and I'm still getting almost 30 mpg on the highway.

T

When your cats clogged up, what were the symptoms you experienced?

hey. i dont know if this is gonna help on not but here's what was happenning to my tour:
it was pretty much the same thing. If i mashed on it in high gear and rather low rpms (like 2rpm in 5th) it would sputter. I tried everything i knew of - filters, o2 sensors, even took off the upper intake manifold to check injectors. I also cheched spark plug wires by disconnecting everyone of them when the car was idling. They seemed ok.
But then a buddy of mine who has some tunning experience told me that its an ignition problem. So i went to the junk yard and got a different set of wire and a coil pack just to check it out. And as soon as i replaced the wires it started working fine (even tho the old ones seemed to be ok)

I've replaced the wires and the plugs before, but replacing the coil pack is definitely a consideration. Process-of-elimination is okay with me, but it hurts the wallet when it means replacing almost every part on the car before I solve the problem :(

My precats clogged up, showing the same symptoms. No CEL's at all, untill it blew the line from the DPFE. Until that, it acted just like a misfire, w/o the flashing CEL.

As stated above Fords older PCM software had recorded a false emissions failure for the catcon. They had revised updates for the PCM.

A quick and easy way to see if the converter is plugged is to see if the outlet is colder than the inlet. If it is then it is plugged. Or you can go to a Ford dealer and see if their is an update for the PCM.

The "PCM update" was only applicable to 98s.

Steve

it is meant for the 98 but it has been applied to the 99s

My precats clogged up, showing the same symptoms. No CEL's at all, untill it blew the line from the DPFE. Until that, it acted just like a misfire, w/o the flashing CEL.

Well, every once in a while a get a P0420 code, which is "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)" code...

I spoke with my local Advance associate (an older guy, seems to know his stuff) and he said that would most likely be a clogged cat and it would have to be replaced.

What about "gutting" my cats"? I've searched CEG on how to do so, but haven't been able to find anything...a step-by-step would be really useful. I'm a DIY-er, so don't be afraid to go into detail.

As mentioned in my first post, I've already replaced wires and plugs...among many other things. That's why this stumps me so.

My problem was still the plug wires... mine were Autolite Professional Series and had about 3 weeks of driving on them. My Ford Racing wires did the same thing so I was clueless on what the final problem could be. I picked a set of used $12 wires from a Contour SE at my local salvage yard and my problem was instantly solved. New wires doesn't mean they aren't the problem as in my example. Your driveablility problem sound exaclty like mine. I could barely give the car gas going through the gears without it falling on it's face.

T

My problem was still the plug wires... mine were Autolite Professional Series and had about 3 weeks of driving on them. My Ford Racing wires did the same thing so I was clueless on what the final problem could be. I picked a set of used $12 wires from a Contour SE at my local salvage yard and my problem was instantly solved. New wires doesn't mean they aren't the problem as in my example. Your driveablility problem sound exaclty like mine. I could barely give the car gas going through the gears without it falling on it's face.

T

Was this behavior occurring even when the engine was at full operating temp?
I'm getting this "falling on its face" crap, but only when the engine is stone cold and ambients temps are below 40-50F. After it warm up, this behavior stops, but there's a slight intermittent miss still....and an overall loss of power.

You've got me thinking about the wires now. I also have put on a new set of wires, replacing the Magnecores, and didn't see any change in the behavior. Maybe third time is the charm? Some new Taylors this time maybe?

Chris

Chris,
It was better when it warmed up but still got worse all around after the weeks went by. Resistance is lower when it's cold so it makes sence that it gets better when the motor warms up.

Back