• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clock Spring?

Vehicle - '99 SVT

Horn, and Cruise does not work. In my searching I came across a thread in which someone mentioned a clock spring, and that these 2 parts not working are related to each other through a common failed part.
Can someone fill me in on what a clock spring is, where it is, how it fails or why, and please point me in a direction to get a replacement, or a how to fix?

Thanks in advance.

It's under the airbag in your steering wheel. It's a moving part to keep the horn, cruise and airbag connected while being able to rotate at the same time. The connection eventually wears out and one, two or all three fail together.

Ford dealer for a replacement. Disconnect the battery and wait 30 mins for the airbag system to discharge. Remove the airbag cover and replace the clockspring.

not sure on price but it's relativly simple to replace. disconnect the neg side of the battery and wait at least 1 min. then turn the steering wheel 90* and remove the torx bolt on the back side of the wheel, repeat for other side, the torx is small (don't exactly remember the size it's been a little while since i pulled mine) but you have to have 1/4" drive or the torx bit won't go in the hole in the steering wheel. then pull the airbag. remove the 15mm nut holding the wheel down and pull the wheel off and there is the clock spring.

Sorry to dredge up this old topic, but there are only 2 torx screws holding in the airbag ? I see there are 6 holes. I havnt looked with a mirror yet, and the factory manual isn't very clear if there are 2 vs. 3+ screws.

thanks,

Mad Dog

I see it now, and I found another older post on the topic. T-25. Unfortunately Ford buried them deep enough I can't get my bit and socket in far enough. %)*)$(*)#&)(*&@_)$(

Seriously, Ford ? A long handled T-25 ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

While I found an extension that fits, it doesn't feel like the torx screws are loosening. Even if unscrewed, should the airbag come free easily or do you have to exert some force to get it away from the steering wheel ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Torx-30. For me, at least. I was about to rip my hair out trying to figure out how I couldn't get the dumb thing off. A T-25 felt like it locked, but it doesn't.

OK, next question - when I take the steering wheel off, do I have to make some alignment marks, or does the wheel only fit in one exact spot ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Make sure the wheel is straight before you take it off. As I recall it sits on a hexagon, so it will go back in the same location easily.

Straight on, hopefully as my wheels aren't straight. Get it lined up correctly, I hope you mean.

I am eager to get the wheel off so I can get the dash off and finally get it fixed up and reinstalled. What a pain in the ass !

thanks,

Mad Dog

Ok, got the wheels straight and removed the steering wheel. It didn't want to come free, so when it finally popped off, the plastic ring (what is this called ?) for the rotating contacts also popped off. It has a warning on it about referring to the manual before installing. It doesn't look damaged and should be a fairly simple element. Is there something to be concerned about ?

thanks,

Mad Dog

Back