• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Clock question not yet asked.

Joe_Shmoe

New CEG'er
My clock light has been out since I acquired my contour in December. I just came back from the junk yard with a green condom bulb that seems good (not burnt out,) as my old bulb was definetly burnt. I installed it and no go. Now to the question, What wires feed the clock bulb from the wiring harness? How can I test if the harness is providing power to my bulb socket?

• The clock display shows the correct time
  • HM buttons work fine to adjust the clock
  • PATS light blinks like its supposed too
What is the display screen supposed to look like in the daylight without being plugged into the harness? Is it supposed to be clear tan or filled with black liquid?

How do you know the bulb you grabbed is good? From past experience, even if you find a good bulb, it has a good amount of use on it and just removing it and installing it was enough movement to make it go bad.

A new bulb is about $5-6 from the dealer. I would just order a new replacement.

The dealership searched for over a half our in their systems and called around at other places and they could not find the bulb or a part number. As far as the bulb being good, I can see the filaments still attached. I'm going to grab another bulb later and I will also test my harness to see if I'm getting power.

So my display is busted then?

look like this?

brokenLCD.jpg

The clock should display the time (with no backlight) even when the car is off. That sounds like a cracked display.

How can I test if the harness is providing power to my bulb socket?

If you have a digital multimeter set it to voltage and put a probe on each of the contacts that the bulb's attached to when it was plugged in. Turn your key on. If you get a reading then the problem is your bulb, if not it may be something else. Hope this helps.

The dealership searched for over a half our in their systems and called around at other places and they could not find the bulb or a part number. As far as the bulb being good, I can see the filaments still attached. I'm going to grab another bulb later and I will also test my harness to see if I'm getting power.

So my display is busted then?

Lmk if you want the whole piece. I will test it today to make sure it all works.

I'm using my multimeter today to see if my voltages are ok. Ford said the clock is obsolete and they no longer make it. I know the junk yard had two other clocks from which I got the bulbs, althogh I don't remeber what the displays looked liked. If clocks are no good i'll just take ford4life's clock if it turns out to be good. Ya'lll have been a great help.

E5RY-13466-BA

MSRP - $5.40
Team Ford - $4.02

The bulb does not include the green cover. Remember to transfer it over from the old bulb. Be careful because they stick to the bulbs and tend to rip when you remove them.

green condom transfer

green condom transfer

The green condoms are hard to remove from the bulb for transfer, and often tear or rip when you try to do it. If this happens, just get a green Sharpie permanent magic marker and color it to the shade you want. Much easier and less frustrating.

Back