• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cleaning Carpets

my_black99svt

CEG'er
I rented a rug doctor from the grocery store. I pulled my seats and console out then went to town with the doctor. I didn't get any pics with my camera, but my carpets were disgusting. They had probably never been cleaned before, and had 9 years of spilled drinks and 180,000 miles of dirty shoes staining them. I have only seen carpet dirtier than mine in one other car and that was a picture posted here as "OMG look how dirty this is".

Now the carpets almost look new!!! There were a couple of stains I couldn't get out, and there is a worn area on the drivers SVT floor mat, but it really looks pretty good now. I was really surprised how clean the carpets came out.

Got dirty carpet or floor mats??? Go get a doctor.

I tried a Rug Doctor on mine, and couldn't get them clean enough. Finally, I yanked the seats, trim, and console, pulled out the entire carpet, and blasted it down with a hose, and then scrubbed with laundry detergent and Woolite. Then let it dry for a few days and put it back in. Using a pressure washer would probably get it cleaner, and you could use a shop vac to suck all the water out. I just don't have either of those.

Back