• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Chicago/Milwaukee guys...need some electrical help big time!

SVT Doood

CEG'er
I just installed a new starter...

I have continuity from the battery + to the little bolt on the solenoid.
I have continuity from the battery + to the large bolt on the solenoid.
I have continuity from the battery - to the ground on the MTX, and to the firwall.

Will not crank over.

I tried to jumper a cable from the battery to the small bolt to energize the solenoid and spin the starter (therefore bypassing the starting circit)...no go.
I tried a jumper a cable from the battery to the large bolt to energize the solenoid and spin the starter (therefore bypassing the starting circit)...no go.

I'm reading 12.4 volts on the battery
I'm reading 12volts volts from the battery - to the small bolt on the solenoid with the key turned to start.
I'm reading 8 volts from the battery - to the large bolt on the solenoid.

EDIT: Just took the battery in for a test...it was o-k.

I need some help here..

One other thing to check, is the ground cable from the trans bolted to the chassis? Good, clean contact? I forgot to reconnect mine and my starter did not work. Once that wire was hooked up... Vroom!

Good Luck!

Chris

I'm with chris on this one. Even if you didn't mess with the grounds, loosen the bolts, clean connectors, and tighten bolts down. It might just turn over.

Yup, as the other two said, check your grounds and clean any contacts as needed also.

Thanks bro's...

I'm currently cleaning all my grounds. Unbolting...wire brush...re-assemble. I haven't checked the ground under the battery tray yet, or if there are any grounds near/on the far side of the starter. I'm also checking the wiring from the battery to the starter. The 98 (and maybe others) use a plastic "holder" for the cables where they attach at the solenoid. I'm gonna inspect that as well. I already bypassed the clutch kill switch (snipped and spliced together). I may just get a new starter relay as well just to rule one more thing out.

Excellent! Were you able to determine where the problem was exactly? I'm guessing a ground.

All my grounds had oxidation...so every ground I could locate whether they were ignition related or not I pulled and cleaned...

I also pulled the wiring to the starter and noticed that the + cable going to the small bolt on the starter solenoid had worn thru the sleeve...so I taped it (I'll replace it after doing some research and finding somethig not expensive)...

I also replaced the starter relay in the under-hood fuse box...

So out of those 3...who know's really. Its kinda like when you get a misfire...you might as well replace the plugs/cables/coil all at once or you end up chasing your tail.

You should put your solution info in your other thread too...just so it too can have a happy ending.

Back