• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

changin trans fluid

foo23

New CEG'er
Changing the shops trans fluid. wondering if anyone had some suggestions on what type to use for the mtx-75

heard to many bad things about royal purple. how long have u been using the stuff

I don't know why you felt the need to made two posts about this? :shrug: Cross posting is not allowed or necessary.

I've heard only great things about Royal Purple. Amsoil syncromesh or "Ford Honey" are other good options.

can you give me one example of a bad thing you've heard about royal purple with proof to back it up? I can give you 3ish examples with proof for why it is great

mb, thanx for the advice probably go w/ amsoil then. How many quarts does it usually take.

Never heard anything bad about any of the suggestions in this thread. Personally, I use Ford Honey, despite the high price, absolutely no complaints.

I suppose that is true. I assumed he meant a contour and my 99 takes 2.7 so I am assuming the later ones weren't until 01? maybe not

Mine is a 2000 and I think is takes 2.1 qts but I'm not positive. I've seen Brapple post the accurate amounts before, maybe he'll chime in again.

Mine is a 2000 and I think is takes 2.1 qts but I'm not positive. I've seen Brapple post the accurate amounts before, maybe he'll chime in again.

the correct answer is you need to buy 3 qts (since they all take more than 2) and then with the car level you "fill-til-spill" (fluid just starts to come out the fill port).

where can you guys find your transmission fluid (excluding ford's honey) at? i looked several places here in town and couldn't find anything synthetic except some 75w-90 gear oil, can't think of the brand right now, and that seems like it would be too think.... maybe not. does anyone know the weight that's supposed to be in there?

Royal Purple in my MTX-75 with Torsen for over 3 years now, and nearly 50,000 miles. No issues whatsoever.

I'm also curious about what kinds of "bad things" you've heard about RP... you've dodged that issue really well so far.

RP is somewhat hyped. It's just dye.... I think the Amsoil Sychromesh is a way better fluid for the mtx-75. The Ford Motorcraft XT-Q5-XS is an insanely high quality fluid, but I think it's too thick for our tranny's. Lots of people complained with cold shifting, especially in colder climates. I use that on the MS3 and it has been doing very very well. The amsoil in the Svt, I tried it on a whim since it's exactly what our tranny calls for. It keeps getting better and better. Very happy with that. I would say the RP syncromesh would yield similar results, but the price is way too high.

RP is somewhat hyped. It's just dye.... I think the Amsoil Sychromesh is a way better fluid for the mtx-75. The Ford Motorcraft XT-Q5-XS is an insanely high quality fluid, but I think it's too thick for our tranny's. Lots of people complained with cold shifting, especially in colder climates. I use that on the MS3 and it has been doing very very well. The amsoil in the Svt, I tried it on a whim since it's exactly what our tranny calls for. It keeps getting better and better. Very happy with that. I would say the RP syncromesh would yield similar results, but the price is way too high.

X2 on the amsoil, I have slowly switched out all my fluids to amsoil. The prices are very reasonable too IMO

Back