• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Center Console Swap?

Matty K

Hard-core CEG'er
Stupid question, but whatever.... I swapping my 98+ console with a pre-98, and it's been a loooooong time since I pulled the pre-98 (but I do have all of the parts - the console, wings, under-tray, etc...). Is there a quick crash course on putting in the pre-98? I can't quite remember how it all went in.

Thanks,
Matt

Here we go...

Here we go...

Matty K's Crash Course

1. Remove the 98+ console (both parts) and HVAC/radio bezel.

2. Bolt the pre98 "undertray" to the bottom side of the dash.

3. With the shifter in reverse and the e-brake down, pivot the console so that its rear is pointed upward and work it over the shifter. Be sure to keep the top front part in front of the undertray so you can pivot it back down.

4. Swing the console downward partway. Reach under it from behind and pull the e-brake, then lower it the rest of the way so it seats over the brake handle.

5. Plug in the cigarette lighter.

6. Shift the console forward, seating the two pegs on the back of its center portion in the holes in the undertray. When its in place, add in the screws on that section.

7. Add the screws to the top two holes on either side of the console (they go into the undertray, IIRC).

8. Secure the back of the console, either by drilling into the sides (where the 98+ has cutouts) and using the original mounts, or using self-tapping screws through the bottom and into the bracket underneath.

9. Install the "wings" that border the footwells. The driver's side slides back into a small mount and then tucks under the console; the passenger's doesn't have the rear mount (I think). Both of these have two screws that go into the metal under the dash, and one screw that goes through the console and into their leading edge.*

10. Install the radio/HVAC bezel; it has those crappy-ass Ford clips that always break, but pushes straight in with no screws.

11. Install the accessories: the ash tray, cupholder/cover, pocket, shift boot, and trim piece that goes between the pocket and radio bezel.

12. Done.

*You can technically put these on first, but I'm glad I didn't; I moved my radio to the lower position, and not having the wings allowed my to reach behind and shift all of the wires out of the way as I slid the radio in.

so a pre 98 console can be swapped into a 98 huh? never thought of that. you got any pics of it installed

That setup looks hot but mainly because it is so well done/clean/painted with all new leather pieces. I still wonder, besides the extra spot to put gauges, what is the point to the pre-98? I personally like to be able to have open beverages for my commute to work/school and I don't see the pre-98 cutting it in that regard...

the arm rest on the pre98 is higher up and can actually be used compared to the SVT "arm rest". however, as was mentioned, the pre98 cupholders suck.

I have a pre98 in my car... love it. I love the actual arm rest and the wrap around look and feel. The cup holders are eh, but worth it imo. Hardly ever drink unsealed bevs anyway.
Erick --

I have the one, large cupholder, and I love it. It actually holds drinks well, and it's close to my hand so it's easier to grab.

No idea which models got it.... IIRC, it's less about year and more about ATX vs MTX. I just picked one up off the boards.

No idea which models got it.... IIRC, it's less about year and more about ATX vs MTX. I just picked one up off the boards.

MTXs got the single larger cupholder, while ATXs got the two smaller cupholders. I personally never liked either as the smaller ones can only really hold 12oz cans while the larger one is to shallow to really hold anything big and its too big to hold a can.

MTXs got the single larger cupholder, while ATXs got the two smaller cupholders. I personally never liked either as the smaller ones can only really hold 12oz cans while the larger one is to shallow to really hold anything big and its too big to hold a can.

not completely correct. originally they all had the small cup holders that where good for 12 oz soda cans. the mtx got one and the atx got two. as a replacment everything got a single larger cup holder. note there where two different styles. search for csvt1214's thread on the different cup holders.

I have a pre98 in my car... love it. I love the actual arm rest and the wrap around look and feel. The cup holders are eh, but worth it imo. Hardly ever drink unsealed bevs anyway.
Erick --

ditto. a useable armrest and the enclosed feeling are great. but then again I have driven a pre98 for close to 12 years now.

I have the one, large cupholder, and I love it. It actually holds drinks well, and it's close to my hand so it's easier to grab.

the large one is nice, but I find it flops around alittle to much and isn't good for small cans, like a red bull can. but it works well.

See this would interest me. What year did you pull that out of?

any pre98 in a junkyard with replacement cup holder, ie the larger one. the mystique and contour ones are different for the bezel, iirc.

I MAY think about this swap... I just like having the deep cup holders up front where I can put a coffee cup without having to worry about it winding up on the floor. I dunno. I'll have to actually look at one for myself firsthand. The usable armrest is pretty tempting.

I MAY think about this swap... I just like having the deep cup holders up front where I can put a coffee cup without having to worry about it winding up on the floor. I dunno. I'll have to actually look at one for myself firsthand. The usable armrest is pretty tempting.

with the original pre98 cup holders if you drop it down alittle, so it isn't all the way up it will work better. the cup, etc will rest slightly on the seat. I do this every day on my way to work.

Welp I guess I'll go off to a JY sometime in the near future and go a-looking. Were the pre-98 color codes the same (I remember seeing that pre-98 had black as an option but I doubt it or we'd see more black interior swaps) or am I going to have to order some alchemy paint from PPG?

Welp I guess I'll go off to a JY sometime in the near future and go a-looking. Were the pre-98 color codes the same (I remember seeing that pre-98 had black as an option but I doubt it or we'd see more black interior swaps) or am I going to have to order some alchemy paint from PPG?

there was no black option for the interior. the closest you can get is atlantis blue and its alot brighter. the pre98 tan is close to the SVT tan without needing to be painted.

Back