• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CEL p1131 and p0303

hoger29

New CEG'er
I was driving home from DesMoines yesterday and my CEL popped on. I have an OBD II scanner and it said that: P1131 was listed as a cylinder 3 misfire, P0303 was listed a manufacturer controlled fuel and air metering.

Is this caused by the IAC or MAF? Any help would be appreciated.

I also noticed the my 96 contour ATX was quite shaky or wobbly driving down the road. this did not used to be the case. What would cause such a wobbly ride?

[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P0303[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Misfire Detected - Cylinder 3 [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]P1131[/FONT][FONT=arial,verdana,helvetica,sans-serif]Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1. [/FONT]

time to check the plugs and wires and change that O2 Sensor ...

I changed the sparksplugs two weeks ago. Maybe I did something wrong. what would you recommend to do to determine this?
Also, I had to change the MAF two years ago because other one was bad, and I replaced with a junk yard part so that might be the problem.
Thanks.
96 contour ATX 130000

I changed the sparksplugs two weeks ago. Maybe I did something wrong. what would you recommend to do to determine this?
Also, I had to change the MAF two years ago because other one was bad, and I replaced with a junk yard part so that might be the problem.
Thanks.
96 contour ATX 130000

codes have nothing to do with the maf .... you have a dying O2 sensor that you need to change

double check the plug wires to make sure they are seated correctly ...

Where is the O2 sensor located? I looked in the Haynes manual and it goes into how to remove the PCM.
Do you have any pictures or better info on how to change this sensor out?

You have a misfire on bank 1. Fix it first and the O2 code may be fixed without doing anything else.

Do not drive the car too long with a misfire unless you want to fry your cats.

Steve

what do you mean I have a misfire in bank 1? How would an O2 sensor fry the cats? There are no pictures or instructions to replace? Car seams to run fine until I get over 70 then it will cut out with a blinking CEL ( only did this twice, now i wont go over 60)

I was wondering if anyone had any info on how to locate or change this O2 sensor? Is this the HO2 Sensor that is bad? Should I be driving my car at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Suggestions, been there, fixed that!

Suggestions, been there, fixed that!

Check your ignition wires, epecially Cylinder 3 (see diagram below) sometimes they are hard to connect to the plugs, one may be loose. Also check firing order (I did it wrong once). Can cause Bad Misfire=unburned fuel dumped into catalytic converter which will soon damage it. For changing (H02s is same thing as 02) sensor try this topic I was in P1131 Bad O2 sensor will cause rotten egg smell and excess fuel to be used, catalyst again will be damaged, but not as soon as a misfire. Don't worry, damage is not instant. When my P1131 occurred and CEL on, the car drove fine above 70, no cutting out. It really is possible the misfire is the problem. Shaking is likely a tire or tires out of balance, or the engine is very rough.

Basic diagram of cylinders (by Tony 2005 :) )

Firewall side
4- 6 -5 <--coil pack
3-2-1

1-2-3 <--engine
4-5-6
Radiator side

Spark Plug gap 0.054 inch

I have the zetec engine but I will definately check that the spark plug wires are seated properly. This morning my car was stuttering for about first five minutes of driving, getting scared to drive it.

Zetec I-4 Spark Plug Wiring Order

Firewall
Engine 1 2 3 4 ..... Coil 1 3
Radiator ............... ....4 2

Spark Plug gap 0.050 inch

Misfire: Something wrong in ignition: sparkplug, wire, coil causing no spark, gas goes to catalytic converter and burns there.

Bad O2 sensor: causes car to run richer, mean more gas goes in than needed, if the sensor is tired, responds too slow. You can have too much gas go in without a misfire, just inefficient combustion of the gas. O2 sensor wouldn't normally cause a misfire, unless the car ran rich too long and fouled the plugs.

Hoger29, unless you have changed the spark plugs and/or wires in the last 60K miles, change that first and then see if the O2 code comes back. Then change the O2 sensor if necessary.

"One of the first rules of troubleshooting is that you fix what you know is wrong and the(n) re-evaluate." Big Jim.

Last edited:
I recently changed the sparkplugs about two to three weeks ago. As stated earlier I was driving on the interstate and CEL came on and these codes are what came out. I dont seem to be using an extra amount of gas and car hasn't been running so bad the last two days. I plan to clear the codes to see if they pop back up. I would really like some sort of picture or instuctions on how to locate and change the O2 sensor incase it is bad, I can not seem to find them anywhere.
I also have a very rough idle when at stop, I believe this is a broken or damaged mount though because I vacuum checkes EGR valve and have cleaned the IAC and changed plugs with little improvement.

These instructions are for a 2.5 liter engine and I believe the zetec is only a 2.0. Am I wrong in my thinking or is the O2 sensor in the same spot regardless?

Back