• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CD4E issues

KJIV

Be Gentle I'm New Here
Hi guys, it looks like there are some pros on here when it comes to this transmission.

My issue I'm having with ours is when the car is cold it runs fine, but as I drive the car for about 5 minutes the transmission starts making a high pitch whining noise (changes tones with shifts) and starts slipping. The slipping gets worse as you drive it to the point where it will not engage in any gear. Let the car cool down, it drives again temporarily until doing the same thing.

My gut tells me this is internal and I might as well just replace the transmission, however I'm looking for any knowledge that I may be missing before I do that. I have replaced the fluid (drain and 4 quarts) and I've replaced the speed sensor.

Could this possibly be the range sensor?

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

Changing the oil didn't fix your transmission!!! What year car?

Changing the oil didn't fix your transmission!!! What year car?

Changing your trans oil is a waste of time and money. To hear tell some on this site believe that changing it enough will fix anything.

Tell us about the old oil? Was it brown, did it smell burnt? Was it at the correct level?

Do you get a flashing OD light?

Let us know.

I don't consider it to be too much of a waste of time or money to change the transmission fluid, it was about 20 bucks and took about 10 minutes.

The oil itself was a little dark/brown, no metal in it, no burnt smell and definitely at the correct level. No Flashing OD light either.

that's what I'm thinking. I was hoping there may be a chance that it was something else, but I thought it would be unlikely.

I'll be searching in junkyards this weekend I think.

i have a list of transmissions that are interchangeable somewhere here in the trans section. they won't all interchange.

Back