• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car won't start

speedfreak117

CEG'er
Ok let me try to be as descriptive as possible. The other day I went to start my car. The first turn and it stumbled and died. When I tried it again I got nothing. It didn’t try to turn over and everything electrical like the dash and radio went dead. I tried to crank it one more time and in the starting key position a few of the warning light on the dash faintly light up.

So I took my other car to work and when I got home I tried to start it again hopping beyond hope that it was some funny quirk, but it does the same thing, except now I can turn the radio on. Before the whole display was out. My car is a 99 SE. Has this happened to anyone else before?

How long has the car sat? Sounds like a dead battery. I left my fogs on (damn foglight mod:laugh: ) and the battery died, but my radio controls didn't reset. I don't think the radio takes all that much juice. Try charging the battery, then test to see if the alternator is working.

check your battery, after you've charged it, check your fuses, should just be a minor problem where your battery died. If your radio has lost all it's presets you should definitely consider it being a battery issue.

Ok I tried to jumpstart it this weekend and everything seems to power up, but when I turn the key all I get is a ticking noise. I think it might be the starter. If it is how expensive is a new one and how hard is it to replace?

it could very well be your alternator. when mine finally went out in july (after a month or two of the battery light flickering on and off), i tried to start it right aftewards and all i got was a ticking sound. just a thought!

Ok I tried to jumpstart it this weekend and everything seems to power up, but when I turn the key all I get is a ticking noise. I think it might be the starter. If it is how expensive is a new one and how hard is it to replace?

The ticking noise sounds like the starter trying to move but the lack of power causes the tick sound. As posted before, could be a bad battery, or the connection to the terminals is bad (dirty or loose).

Back