• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Car Key

Fordwerke

CEG'er
I only have one car key, but would like to have second one, as a reserve key.
Now, what do I've to do therefore? Where can I make a second exemplar, and how much does this cost?
I guess the first place to go would be a Ford dealership, but are there alternatives?

Thanks a lot, and Happy New Year in advance

Walmart now does coded keys. I'm not sure how much it costs, but it has to be cheaper than ford. You could always do what I've been doing with mine for the last six years that I've had only one key. I'm overly paranoid about loosing it, therefore I don't. On a side note; I just added up the costs of everything I need to finish the rear of my car. About $250, and it will be done. I'll be picking everything up from a local race shop on Friday. Kyle will be helping me out with the assembly on Sunday. We should have the pictures with everything in place Sunday night. I'm freaking excited! I've said in the past that once I have the rear completed, it's all over. Sorry for the threadjack, but I'm not starting a thread... yet.

Walmart now does coded keys. I'm not sure how much it costs, but it has to be cheaper than ford. You could always do what I've been doing with mine for the last six years that I've had only one key. I'm overly paranoid about loosing it, therefore I don't. On a side note; I just added up the costs of everything I need to finish the rear of my car. About $250, and it will be done. I'll be picking everything up from a local race shop on Friday. Kyle will be helping me out with the assembly on Sunday. We should have the pictures with everything in place Sunday night. I'm freaking excited! I've said in the past that once I have the rear completed, it's all over. Sorry for the threadjack, but I'm not starting a thread... yet.

You are the reason I want to masturbate in public!

I only have one car key, but would like to have second one, as a reserve key.
Now, what do I've to do therefore? Where can I make a second exemplar, and how much does this cost?
I guess the first place to go would be a Ford dealership, but are there alternatives?

Thanks a lot, and Happy New Year in advance

I hate to sound like a broken record (anybody remember those), but please tell us the year of the car. Other information like engine and trans is helpful for some things too.

If you have an early 98 with PATS. you don't need two keys. You can add a second and program it yourself.

Then you do need two keys to add another key, or you need to take it to someone that can program the car to accept your keys.

You really should get enough to end up with three or more keys so this won't happen again.

Then you do need two keys to add another key, or you need to take it to someone that can program the car to accept your keys.

You really should get enough to end up with three or more keys so this won't happen again.
I've only one key for the car, and I thought about a second key just in case I lock the car while the other key is inside, or I loose it, so I need one for the ignition as well as the door.

So, what is it that I've to do? Wal-Mart? Ford dealer? A third option?

Back