• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can't shake the $1000+ car repairs

rouar

fixer
Admin
I got rid of my previous two cars because of the outrageous repair bills I kept getting. The Maxima went in today for two nasty noises that sounded like a bad pulley near my belts and a weird knocking in the area too that started after my weekend trip to Maine, turned out to be bad bearings in my a/c compressor (as well as an idler pulley). What they quoted me is actually a good deal for the amount of work that needs to get done, but it does prevent me going to California next month like I had planned. At least this is the first repair I haven't had to borrow money from my parents to pay. :)

Just needed to vent a bit, I've resigned to the knowledge that this will be my life as long as I take cars to the dealer. There's no way I would have the time to replace a compressor myself though.

I did get this gem in email from a friend though after mentioning the repair cost:
"Matt, have you considered buying a nice japenese car, like a Toyota or Honda where repairs are extremely rare and often inexpensive? You're beating yourself up just to keep these specific cars. Yes no?"

thats not too bad.
could be a little cheaper if you went someplace other than a dealer.
but finding that other place is usually kinda hard.

you should know that when you buy a used car, you will be putting at least $1000 a year into it to keep it going.
its normal.

you should know that when you buy a used car, you will be putting at least $1000 a year into it to keep it going.
its normal.

That's why I buy $250 cars or trucks, drive them for half a year, and throw them away. The SVT has only cost me $2000 in repairs over the last 4 1/2 years, but I only drive it in the summer.

Last edited:
Thats why I drive new cars with warranties. Just gotta stay with cars that keep their value so that your not getting a swift kick to the nuts everytime you want to trade it in. Oh and make sure you buy it right.

i hate car payments.
haha

my truck is the perfect example of a good used vehicle.
$150 purchase cost
$40 rocker panels
$40 fenders
$10 flat black spray paint
$14 brake hose
$8 brake lines
$4 brake fluid

starts quicker than any other vehicle i own.
can carry a whole bunch
and i dont care if it gets scratched!
i could prbabaly turn around and sell it for close to a grand too.

I'm fine with cars needing $1K a year in maintenance or repairs in total. It's the unexpected repairs that are killing me. I pulled a P0421 code earlier this year and had my rear bank precat replaced (under warranty thankfully). It also also needs brakes and tires soon which are expected wear items. Several other smaller problems existed as well, although the car as a whole has been a whole lot nicer to me than the Contour was.

I do suppose that having driven nearly 7000 miles since June (6894 between 6/5/06 and 9/3/06 according to gas receipts) does affect things a bit.

I'm strongly considering leasing next time since my desire in a car changes every year or two ... gotta get this car loan and some student loans paid off first though :)

Last edited:
Why not just lease then?

Just not comfortable with leasing. I'm pretty sure the dealer would pick up on some of my mods. I like keeping my options open (able to sell car to get out of payments). Plus I anticipating owning this one for quite a while. Paying it off before we start having kids would be awesome.

Yeah, I agree with you but the problem starts when your used vehicle begins to experiance problems before it is paid off.

The wife's Jeep is almost ours. I think she has a year left at $200/mo. I had a coolant flush and oil change for $150, I put a new steering stabilizer ($30), Serpentine belt ($40) it needs new brakes $400, new tires $500 and could stand to have the front wheel bearings replaced ($God only knows), the diff and tranny fluid needs to be swapped out too. It's a 2000 with 96,000mi and the pinch seems at the door bottoms are starting to rust (not vissible from the outside).
$200x12: $2400
+$150+$30+$40+$400+$500+Probably another $500 in fluid changes and wheel bearings: $1620
=$4020 year.

Or my 2005 Mazdaspeed Payment:
$320x12: $3840 year.
No need for repairs....it's all under the 4yr/50,000mi warranty. Theres no break downs. I don't have to worry about driving distances and what not.

Her insurance is about $100 more a year than mine (which is tough to consider due to the number of variables).

The mistake is financing a used vehicle. $200/month is a brand new car payment IMO.

I read the comment as buying a reliable used vehicle for cash.

The mistake is financing a used vehicle. $200/month is a brand new car payment IMO.

$200/mo for a new car? Must be putting a lot down as a deposit.
$200mo/60mo= $12,000 without interest
$200mo/72mo= $14,400 without interest

Most base level cars are $16,000 - $22,000.

c'mon ryan, this is mike and kim you are talking about...
the couple that paid off their 2000 and 2001 vehicles prior to 2004!!
haha

Yes that is what I meant. pay cash for a fairly reliable used car and spend $$ or repairs occasionally. Like my mystique.. Sure it's not a fancy SVT but I only paid $1300 for it and have only had to replace the alt. and I soon have to change the trans which I picked up a good used one for $100. Oh I almost forgot fixing it when my daughter bent the lower control arm and strut. Still I've had it for over a year and only minor issues IMO.

Now If money (or lack of it!) were not an issue I'd be driving a new car for sure.

Back