• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can't force the piston into the rear caliper!

TRicker

Hard-core CEG'er
it wont go. i turned the self adjuster all the way in, but the piston still needs to go 1/2" into the caliper. it wont move at all. the ebrake will force the piston out, but it wont take it back in. the brakes on this side may have been dragging because they wore the pads down to the metal when there was 1/4" of pad left on the other side. i tried a clamp on the piston to push it in but i cant get it to push in. i took off the reservoir cap and tried to loosen the bleeder to see if i could bleed off any pressure and push it in. it wont go in. i'm assuming now that it's frozen. any suggestions from the allmighty CEG?

You do realize that the rear pistons turn to go in, correct?

Use a pair of pliers or something to grab those indentions in the caliper face and twist it in. Making sure the master cylinder lid is off so that you can displace the fluid will help.

yeah i was turning them in. i thought maybe they would push straight in or somethin but that didnt work. i finally took off the whole caliper and put it in the vise, and tapped on the end of the piston while i turned it with a channel locks. after about 2 minutes of doin this it finally started turnin in. i think maybe it had a little water in there and got rusty, now it's all good. i had to bleed the hell outta the brake on that side once i put it together obviously but now it's all good. thanks guys :)

i think maybe it had a little water in there and got rusty, now it's all good.

If this is the case, it is not good. Time for new calipers if you really believe this to be true. Rust in the brake system = bad juju.

But, fwiw, I don't think this is what happened, I just think you don't really know what you're doing, and the calipers are probably fine, well, they probably were fine until you got all over the pistons with pliers. Time for new calipers or at least pistons anyway.

If this is the case, it is not good. Time for new calipers if you really believe this to be true. Rust in the brake system = bad juju.

But, fwiw, I don't think this is what happened, I just think you don't really know what you're doing, and the calipers are probably fine, well, they probably were fine until you got all over the pistons with pliers. Time for new calipers or at least pistons anyway.
I tried to find rebuild kits for mine recently (none) and had to buy rebuilt calipers instead. More expensive but simple.

Jim T.

Back