• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Caliper Spring

Sprebound

Veteran CEG'er
Ok...so I put new rotors/pads on tonight and got in the car and drove it to start bedding the pads in and I noticed that my pedal is softer... Reading through the brake FAQ it says that it could be due to the caliper springs being installed incorrectly. I think that I have them in correctly, but I wanna make sure before I go and switch everything around and stuff...does anyone know of a link to a pic showing the correct installation of this spring? I have been looking and looking but to no avail.

im pretty sure they go on so the edges are on top the caliper mounting bracket. not between the caliper and the bracket. but i havent had any on for sometime now.
mine wont stay on, ive lost 4 on the road ever sense i replaced my calipers. and i just gave up and dont have any on. grr they make me mad.

I am sorry to hear that...and I think I installed them wrong then. This is the first time I have taken them off since I bought it. (I bought it in May) I will take them off and put them on top of the caliper tomorrow...thanks for the help!

Pictures would help. How do you know he knows what you are talking about?

How do you know he knows that you know how to describe the problem.

:ponder: Heheh

Anyway, the two spring clip ends should be anchored into the caliber body and then the two bent ends should be touching the bracket since these brace there to keep the caliper tight and aligned.

Haha...yeah...thanks warmonger. Looking at it, there were two ways that it could of been done, and apparently I chose the wrong one. If only I could of just remembered what it looked like before I started taking things apart...

I changed around the springs and the brakes still seem a little mushy...also there seems to be sounds of something rubbing, but I am guessing that that is probably the new pads still getting worn in. Maybe I should flush the brakes? It hasn't been done since I have had the car...

Thanks for the link, that definitely helped verify the proper way...and I have them installed correctly now. A new problem...I noticed that when I let go of the accelerator around anywhere lower than 30mph, I get a metal on metal grinding sound from the left side and it kinda pulses... I wonder what I did wrong now...haha. It was an easy switch too, I don't know what I could've done wrong. I took off the caliper and anchor plate and then removed the disc...replaced the disc with a new brembo rotor, greased the sides of the pads with teflon grease and reassembled...pretty straight forward so I don't know what the deal is. Autozone.com said to torque the anchor plate bolts to 88lbs and the lug nuts to 62lbs. Maybe they were wrong?

Wow...well that is not good. I am going to be tearing everything apart in the morning...and I will make sure and torque them correctly....thanks for the info.

Back