• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

busted for window tint

I got busted for tint once when I had my 'tour. The cop wanted me for speeding into a construction zone, but I knew he was there and I knew what his line of sight was with the radar gun, so I waited until the last possible second and dropped my speed; I ended up getting ticketed for the windows, paid the ~$75 fine and left the tint in tact.

For sake of clarity and to ensure that I am not accused of breaking forum rules, I feel I should note that I was not speeding, I simply maintained the normal speed limit to the last possible second before the limit dropped from 70 to 45 at the start of an active construction zone. In fairness to the cop, I did it just to :censored::censored::censored::censored: with him and deserved to get pulled over for getting his hopes up.

I've got 15% on the doors and part of the windshield on one, but I've only had it for a little while, so no trouble yet. I'm hoping they won't mess with me since it has a Texas license plate on it, kind of like how they don't bother pulling me over for speeding. :laugh: On the other one, I want to say that it's like a 30-35% sort of bluish reflective tint, and I've never had any problems with that one either. But back to the OP, yes it is my understanding that having tint on the front windows in Michigan is illegal.

Yes, anything at all on the front windows and windshield (besides the upper portion of the windshield) is illegal in Michigan. Don't quote me on the windshield though but I know the front windows is a law for sure. The cop that pulled me over told me it was because they can't see in the car to see if the driver had a gun and was going to shot them. I wanted to ask why we can have our rear windows tinted though but I didn't want to push it.

Yes, anything at all on the front windows and windshield (besides the upper portion of the windshield) is illegal in Michigan. Don't quote me on the windshield though but I know the front windows is a law for sure. The cop that pulled me over told me it was because they can't see in the car to see if the driver had a gun and was going to shot them. I wanted to ask why we can have our rear windows tinted though but I didn't want to push it.

4 inch from top of windsheild. and 4 inch on the doors are legal and can be as dark as you want

i have 36.6% all the way around and got a ticket here in ohio. $125.:mad: for being 1.6% too dark. the really :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: up part was that the cop owns a csvt himself. what a d-bag. also gave me a ticket for loud exaust. i was still running stock duals with a res delete. but i fought them both in court and won. showing a original picture from the carlot it was bought from in IN with the tint already on

Last edited:
They wont pull you over if youre from out of state or out of country. Since tint is legal in ohio(to a certain pecentage on the front i believe) and I know for a fact in Ontario you can have any percentage you want.

yea the legal limit here is 35% on the front two windows any darkness on the rest and sunstrip legal to as-1 line

and they will pull you over here even if you are from outa state

Tint.

Tint.

I have 2.5% on all of my windows, except for the front windshield, where I have 50% on the whole thing and a 2.5% banner on top that comes down like 10 inches down from the top. I have been pulled over many times for tint in the past, probably around 10 times, but I have only gotten 4 fix-it ticketes and one that wasn't a fix-it. For the first 4, I just took the tint off myself and re-did it myself. It costs me only about $10 to do the front 2 windows again, and thats all the cops care about. For the one that wasn't waivable, I just took it off and went to the police station and talked to them and they still signed it off. So I have never had to pay anything for tint except fo rthe tint to re do it. All the other times I have gotten pulled over I have been able to talk my way out of it. Overall, worth it and I haven't had to pay much for it. If I see a cop, I normally just roll my windows down a little bit and i'm fine.

2.5%!?!?!?! Can you see ANYTHING at night? I have trouble with my 15% at night.

It depends. Its hard sometimes, but then I just roll down my windows a bit and its fine. Its hard in areas where there isn't much light outside. I think it looks a lot better. Even in the day, you can't see in the car at all, even outlines.

Back