• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

busted for window tint

svt_fomoco

CEG'er
I was informed by local law enforcement via a traffic stop that it is illegal to have the front windows tinted in Michigan. Is that true? Anyone get pulled over for tinting the front windows (passenger and driver side)?

I have 10 days to remove the tint and have a cop inspect it.

That is true. Front window tint is illegal in MI except if you have a script from a doctor. I have heard of people swapping identical cars with other people without tint and getting the ok. I don't recommend it though.

Get a set of windows from the JY and switch them, inspect, and switch back. :shrug:

Down here in my area, recently cities stopped waiving the tint ticket. ive gotten about 10 so far. but now that they dont waive them, I just ride with clear windows. besides i think a contour svt looks better without tint IMO

besides i think a contour svt looks better without tint IMO

That's what virgins say when they can't get any. I'm waiting for marriage. Just keep telling yourself that. :laugh: I have the lightest tint possible on the sides and darker on the back and rear sides. Never an issue.

that sucks i have 15% all the way around except the front windshield of course, and no problems, and my pgt has 15% on the front two and 5% on the back 3....so i guess i'm lucky they don't care to much where i live. and no emmision testing to boot.

I've got 15%, I believe, all the way around on my black svt. My car, or any car, looks better with tint, that's my opinion. I got pulled over the 2nd week I had my car for the tint and I just paid the $75 instead of taking it off or messing with switching windows...just didn't have the time to mess with it.

Just pay the fine.... Hmmmm that may be the way to go. The ticket doesn't have any dollar penalty printed on it. Did the police department send you the fine after the 10 days? I also had a tail light out I wonder if the fine will increase for that unthinkable infraction.

My ticket had it little blurp on it saying I could pay $75 or just take it off. Usually people just take it off, but with the cost/time to put it back one (because windows need to be tinted) I just paid the ticket. The lady at the court house thought I was crazy by paying it and told me they could pull me over as soon as I get in my car, haha, I'll risk it. You might want to try to call the police department that pulled you over or the court that you have to pay the fine too.

another thing I heard you could do is take it back to where you got it tinted, if you know where that is and there still around, tell them you got a ticket for it and they will usually take it off and then put it back on after you get it inspected for pretty cheap.

When I got my car it had 5% or 7% on all 5 windows, then after about two or three weeks, I got a ticket. I ended up pulling it all off to get the ticket waved since I planned on having the whole car (except for the windshield) redone with better quality tint. I ended up going with 25% and in the two years I have had it I have only gotten two warnings and one was just a verbal warning.

From what I have heard, as long as police can see your shape, most of them won’t bother you unless they get you for something else.

I have 35% all around on my csvt. Never had any problems.:cool:

I did have 20% on my old ranger. As soon as i put 5% on it, i kid you not the next day i got pulled over and give a ticket. I looked at the cop after he explained i can pay for the ticket or remove my tint. I ripped off the tint on my window while he was standing next to my truck. He stared at me taking it off and laughing. "i have never seen anybody do that before"

He wrote something over the ticket and said i don't have to pay anything or show up. I left went home and re tinted my windows at 20%. I sold the truck 3 years later with 20% on it :)

That's what virgins say when they can't get any. I'm waiting for marriage. Just keep telling yourself that. :laugh: I have the lightest tint possible on the sides and darker on the back and rear sides. Never an issue.

I meant to say I look better with no tint. Just to make sure everyone can see the sexyness inside the car

gone 7 years with 23% on the doors and 18% on the rear window in the SVT. MI PD will usually let you slide unless you have insanely dark windows like 5-10% on the fronts. Your just asking for it then.
I used to get pulled over in my Probe all the time. I had 5% on the back 3 windows and 15% on the doors. Most of the time it was a verbal, but twice I got a fix-it ticket and just chose to pay the fine rather than ruining the defrost strips on my rear window.

I have 35% all around on my csvt. Never had any problems.:cool:

I did have 20% on my old ranger. As soon as i put 5% on it, i kid you not the next day i got pulled over and give a ticket. I looked at the cop after he explained i can pay for the ticket or remove my tint. I ripped off the tint on my window while he was standing next to my truck. He stared at me taking it off and laughing. "i have never seen anybody do that before"

He wrote something over the ticket and said i don't have to pay anything or show up. I left went home and re tinted my windows at 20%. I sold the truck 3 years later with 20% on it :)

How long ago was that when u ripped of the tint?
Do you work for ford?

How long ago was that when u ripped of the tint?
Do you work for ford?

Like 3-4 years ago. But i normally tint 2 cars a month on the side to help people out because the price they charge is outrages.

No i don't work for ford :)

Back