• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bushings

qokuh

New CEG'er
I was wondering if there is a kit that makes the shifts more firm and crisp. I am not sure about what the kits are called, but my friend has a Subaru Outback and we put stiffer bushings on the shifter underneath the car. It made all the difference. Sorry if you have no idea what i am talking about.

I havent seen anything for contours. I know mine were shot when i got the car and just putting on now oem ones made a huge difference. Im sure with a little ingenuity you could make something up. On my talon i used to have I used a bearing off a skateboard instead of a rubber bushing and that makes for a stiffer shift.

I havent seen anything for contours. I know mine were shot when i got the car and just putting on now oem ones made a huge difference. Im sure with a little ingenuity you could make something up. On my talon i used to have I used a bearing off a skateboard instead of a rubber bushing and that makes for a stiffer shift.

Thank you!

on other cars, the shift cables are held on to the shifter and shift tower using a washer and cotter pin. as such, you can install solid bushings and they will function the same way, just with less slop. the Contour (and Fords in general it seems) dont use cotter pins, instead they use the rubber itself to hold the cable end on (i think its a horrible design personally). as the rubber gets old and heat cycled many times, it begins to harden and crack and this is what allows the slopping feeling, and even allows the cable ends to pop off the shift tower.

short of reworking the shift tower levers/pins there really isnt anything you can do other than just replace the cable ends with new ones.

Back