• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Build/maintenance update on my 98 csvt

theboss3512

New CEG'er
Hey guys, I know everyone was hoping for a progress post on the car, but unfortunately I got word right before I started the process that we would not be allowed to renew the lease on our shop for 2024 and had to move out by jan 31st. Then on January 10 we had a real bad rain storm, right after snow fall so between the snow melt and the rain the shop flooded, 23 inches of water. The transaxle unfortunately ended up completely submerged, and the built 2.5 thankfully I had on a stack of wheels while I was re gasketing it only filled the oil pan.
So unfortunately for my OCD, I had to rush a little more and not do a lot of the little detail work I wanted to do while I had the front suspension, engine cradle, and motor/transaxle out of the car. Thankfully I got a good portion of the work done, and can happily say I'm about 200 miles into the clutch break in, with no more oil or coolant leaks, and a super strong, responsive car!
Here's what I was able to learn about the car and fixed while I had it apart.
  • The 2.5 is infact fully built. It does have forged rods, 11.1 forged pistons (did not pull the heads to measure the bores, so the size of the pistons is still unknown), ARP rod bolts, main studs, and head bolts.
  • Installed all new mahle gaskets on the upper and lower intake, throttle body, EGR, rear main seal, timing cover, crank seal, headers, and valve covers.
  • Installed the new fidenza lightweight flywheel, and luk clutch kit.
  • Installed new MSDS headers and 3 bolt y pipe, with a tru bends high flow 3 bolt flex pipe. Deleted the secondary cat as well. The pipe is only temporary till I order the full tru bends stainless exhaust kit and drop it off at the fab shop to be all tig welded with v bands.
  • Cleaned TONS of oil residue from the intakes, installed new bushings for the IRCM system and got that functional. New plugs, secondary O2 sensors, and almost every coolant hose.
  • Checked the entire harness, re taped and loomed any damaged areas, as well as noting where and which connectors had been previously repaired/replaced.
  • Cleaned and painted many of the under hood parts, and the entire subframe.
  • Installed new front control arms, poly sway bar bushings, poly motor mount inserts, all new motor mounts (bought a second new rear mount to have filled and installed later), new SACHS SVT spec front struts, new HD sway bar links, and new h&r lowering springs.

Never could lean on the car before because it would just blow through the clutch, and come to find out the IRCM linkage was laying on the bell housing so it was only half opening anyway. Now it's like a little rocket ship. I absolutely love how responsive it is, and absolutely a blast to throw around corners. I still have to install the new rear struts, mounts, springs, poly control arm bushings, as well as order the intake from natalius, and the rear arms from massive speed systems as well. Then I'll get the new fsvt wheels I picked up repaired and powder coated so I can get tires on them and on the car! Excited to get this thing sit well, and fill the wells better!
Stay tuned, because I'm just getting started with this thing!
Currently at work and all the pictures are too large to upload but I'll come back later and post the pictures I took during the rebuild!

Did I miss some details? Is this forced induction or NA? Sounds like you're doing it right, either way! Would love to see pic's. I've thought about going to Focus SVT wheels as well.

Did I miss some details? Is this forced induction or NA? Sounds like you're doing it right, either way! Would love to see pic's. I've thought about going to Focus SVT wheels as well.
I joined the forum back in October when I purchased the car. I got it from the original owners nephew with 73k miles, 1800 miles on the built motor, and 12k in receipts for work that was done to get the car back to road worthy in 2021 which included building the motor. It had a slipping clutch, and the motor was covered in oil leaks so it was hard to believe it was built. So it was nice to see it was all true. Only paid 3600 for it, and drove it home. It's just n/a and I don't plan to boost it. I just want a nice daily that's fun, and keeps the miles off my aging raptor.
I will definitely get some photos up soon!

Out of curiosity where did you find the SVT struts? I looked around a few years ago and couldn't find anything other than the "upgraded" struts that BAT still had, which may in fact be Sachs..??

I bought 4 corners from BAT for a reasonable price, just installed the fronts last fall. They feel about like I'd have expected new OEM SVT struts to feel, which is in fact what I wanted.

Out of curiosity where did you find the SVT struts? I looked around a few years ago and couldn't find anything other than the "upgraded" struts that BAT still had, which may in fact be Sachs..??

I bought 4 corners from BAT for a reasonable price, just installed the fronts last fall. They feel about like I'd have expected new OEM SVT struts to feel, which is in fact what I wanted.
I was searching the closeout section of rock auto after I was disappointed to realize my only options were Monroe's or similar economy replacements. I was shocked to see 3 fronts listed in the closeout. My car only has 76k miles and was still (to me) shockingly good handling. Now with the h&r's with the new struts it's killer.
Actually ordering the massive speed systems rear arms tonight and then finally I'll tear into the rear suspension/ subframe, clean up and rust proof everything. And then throw in the new energy suspension bushings and sway bar links, arms, and the kyb rear struts and matching h&r springs.
Also scored 6 FSVT wheels so I can get 4 refurbished and upgrade to 17 inch wheels. After that all I'll have left is exhaust, intake, toss my spare areomotive 340 pump in and find someone to tune it.

Back