• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brake Pad Suggestions -- non-Contour

Big Jim

Hard-core CEG'er
Hi everyone. When I posted my swan song about a year and a half ago, someone posted back that I would return because of the quality of this community.

So I recently installed Mazdaspeed 6 brakes on my Fusion Sport. Mazda 6 brakes = Ford Fusion brakes, and the Speed 6 has larger brakes. Front rotors went from 300 mm to 320 mm and rears went from 280 mm to 315 mm. I'll be happy to post pictures of the install if anyone cares.

I used Stop Tech Street Performance pads. I love the way the car stops and couldn't be happier with the performance of the setup including the pads, but it looks like they generate a lot of dust. The reviews I found before deciding on them indicated that they were only slightly dustier than stock. With these pads, my wheels look like they are on a BMW.

If there is still anyone around with engineering level brake knowledge, or at least some experience with the various performance pads available, I would like your comments. I'm leaning toward the ceramic performance pad made by Hawk. Anyone have any experience with them?

Any knowledgeable comment are welcome.

Im running Hawk HPS pads on the VR4 and love them (along with DBA rotors). seem to produce little dust and stop well, although I havent had a chance to try them out on something like the Dragon yet but I trust they will do just fine.

My new favorite pad brand is Akebono. I installed them on my BMW about a year after I bought the car and they are completely dustless. On the BMW forums, they said they have slightly less bite than OEM, but the zero dust was enough to get most people to install them. Since my old pads were mostly shot when I installed them, I don't have much to compare on myself.

I recently installed them on my girlfriend's SVT when I switched out her wheels. Her original pads were terrible with dust. They would immediately start turning the wheels black within a day. Again, excellent stopping power, and no dust.

Akebono is the factory pad for many manufacturers so its always a good bet they will be good pads. You can also order them from any advance auto parts and get them quickly.

Both Hawk HPS and ceramic pads are awesome. The Ceramics leave nothing on my rims stop great and last seemingly forever. The HPS work really well too, ive noticed after month of service you start to recognize a build up of brake dust on the rims, but i wax mine and a quick cleaner spray and water rinse usually does the trick.

Hawk Performance pads will be the only pads ill ever buy.

Back