• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brake light on the dash

Steeda...

Something Like a Professional
The brake light is on in my car constantly. its not the parking brake switch becuase its not connected. Its not the low fluid level sensor becuase i have plenty of fluid and i also jumpered around that. What other things can set off that light?

Doesn't the brake light come on as a signal when there is a problem with the ABS module? (failure to pass a test, etc)?

LOL not you ray, Toddles and Eurotour :)

Ill check all the abs sensors when the car comes back from ford for recalls

Check in this order:

1) Brake fluid level

2) E-brake switch

3) ABS module

ABS sensors will not cause this fault. A hard fault in the module can.

The ABS light comes on if the module fails a self test, not the BRAKE light. However, if both lights are on, the BRAKE light must be resolved first since a fault in its operation generally automatically causes an ABS fault light.

Steve

Thanks, its gonna be the abs module, i checked everything else.

anyone have a pic of where the abs module is located?

Need year and approximate production date.

Most likely its buried in the engine comapartment between the brake booster and the top of the rack on the driver's side.

Steve

Crap umm hopefully not alot of people read this thread..

98.5 april 98 I wonder if its just not hooked up?

If it's disconnected, it cannot turn on the BRAKE light...

If you unhook it, the BRAKE light will go off if the module has been responsible for it being ON.

Steve

You might also want to check to see how worn your brakes are. Mine did that when they were seriously worn down. I checked the fluid level and it was fine, and I don’t have ABS so it wasn’t that.

Back