• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bov not making full "noise"

what was your problem?

I agree with this. When I turned the boost up on my old SVT, I had an issue where the bov was not operating properly. It wasn't blowing off, and giving off more of a fluttering noise, I'm not sure if it was the same noise you are getting ryan, but it sounds like it. I solved the problem by shimming the bov accordingly.

4 da 5

Ok well I guess the bov is dead. I removed the end and there werent any washers in there, so I got 2 washers and shimmed it and the acctuator wasnt moving when I revved it up into boost like it used to. Then I removed the washers and it did the same thing, no movement at all.

I did the leak test and used a zip lock bag and a rubber band on there tight and the bag deflated, so I guess its leaking.

Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of bov to get, since I guess I have to buy a new one.

Well the leaking is bad. Try another washer or two and see if it still leaks. Mind did even when I PACKED it full of em. It will leak at idle if there is not enough pressure to keep it closed.

Its really up to you and what sound you like. I ended up with an HKS SSQV. I have an extra turbo xs (not rfl) you can borrow in the meantime until you get what you want.

Will it just bolt right up in place of the rfl? If so pm me cause I will need to use it. I appreciate it man. I dont really care about the sound anymore to be quite honest, I want function over sound.

The washers I used were pretty thick, they were about 1/8" each, nothing worked. Its just not working, but thats the wierd thing, I swap the fmic and that just stops working, I wonder what happened?

The Tial Brett has is pretty sweet, that solved more than a few driveability issues he had too

The Tial Brett has is pretty sweet, that solved more than a few driveability issues he had too

Explain please, and I dont know who Brett is, I only know a handfull of peoples first names,lol and any links to where I can get a tial or hks ssqv

The HKS is a good one, Turbosmart makes a good BOV, and Tial.

There are some other random brands that might make something decent, but those are what i'd look at.

It takes a hell of a rev to make the BOV actuate when the car is stopped.... Did you happen to try it under load?

^Yes I did, typicly I can rev it up at the tb at the acctuator will move at a high rev and it didnt do it, I took it for a drive up my street and the same thing happened. The fluttering wasnt even coming from the bov, I think whoever it was that suggested it was going back to the turbo was right cause thats where the sound was coming from.

I am going to borrow the bov from shogofast till I buy one, I will weigh out my options and see whats best for my application, but yalls input is awsome, I think I have it nailed down to hks ssqv or tial.

There's no way the BOV suddenly died. Check the vac hose to the top of it. I don't buy it that it no longer works, or leaks. If you took it of the nipple on the intake tube, did you loose or dislodge the or-ring seal on the ID of it where it fits over the nipple?

Something just doesn't add up here. Metal BOV's don't "wear out" like that. You have another issue somewhere.

No the red hose that goes onto the end of it on the nipple I didnt touch, I took the round part beyond that and twisted it off till it was apart, there were no washers in there so I added 2 and same outcome. Thats the only thing I messed with.

It takes a hell of a rev to make the BOV actuate when the car is stopped.... Did you happen to try it under load?

I would agree here, have you tried it under load yet?

I know mine sounds and acts completely different when reving the engine at a stop, to running flat out and shifting to letting off in 5th while on the highway.

It dosent take alot for the rfl, not as much as others, I can rev it half way and the acctuator would move before, now its not at all at a higher rev.

It dosent take alot for the rfl, not as much as others, I can rev it half way and the acctuator would move before, now its not at all at a higher rev.

I have to near redline it to make the bov sound when not moving. I have 3 washers in it per Joeys recomendation. But I can still open it with my finger. Actually I want to put some more in to see if it would help it seal better as it will sometimes stall the car because it doesn't seal all the time.

Back