• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blu's 1995 Contour SE 3L build thread

I saw a NIB AutoMeter Phantom wideband like mine on ebay for $242 earlier today. Definitely worth the few extra dollars over DIY at that rate.

I had this huge thing typed up for everyone to read and my computer locked up :nonono: so you guys get the short end of the stick. This below sums it up.

1 ground wire from motor to chassis was needed. I turned the key with the coil unplugged and the gas pedal to the floor. Let it rev for about 10 seconds. Plugged the coil in, and......

IT'S ALIVE!

I am officially in the 3L club, boo ya!

Idle is perfect, and for the few seconds we let it run, all seemed well :)

I have a small drip from the fitting for the power steering pump, that's it for now..... I was shaking the entire time.

But for you guys, here is my first posted movie from our new camera I got for getting married!

I'm just getting around to commenting on this now. Are you saying you only cranked it for 10 seconds before you started it? Thats why it was ticking when it first started. I cranked mine for a total of about 2 min (in 20 second burst) before i finally built up any pressure. I hope you lubed the cams/followers well or else it just started dry. otherwise, looks real nice

Yep, they were lubed at the shop when they did the inspect/install. The ticking was because of lack of oil on the top end from a lifter. The cams and followers were lubed when I had the valve covers off when the motor was still at my place before I took it to the shop. Everything is ok man, don't scare me like that.........

It only ticked for 3-4 seconds, I had more ticking on my old motor when it was still alive.......

Wow this car is freaking amazing, definitely one of the most unique builds on CEG, and maybe anywhere. Has anyone else even attempted to make a 3L 1995 Contour?

Also, I don't know who else culd have pulled off the color scheme of purple with yellow accessories... Anyone else would have made it look ricy, but this car doesn't. Plus it's a beast.

Awesome car.

Wow this car is freaking amazing, definitely one of the most unique builds on CEG, and maybe anywhere. Has anyone else even attempted to make a 3L 1995 Contour?

Also, I don't know who else culd have pulled off the color scheme of purple with yellow accessories... Anyone else would have made it look ricy, but this car doesn't. Plus it's a beast.

Awesome car.
Airknight was the first...many many years ago,probabaly back around 00-01. i'll be joining joe starting in mid october. can't wait to see more detailed pics. btw joe,what tps are you using? obd2? if so what order did you splice the wires,i'm having issues running the taurus tps on my 95,not sure if its the sensor of the order of my wires.

The TPS sensor was a problem. My '95 spun the wrong direction. A 2000 SVT TPS female end was spliced onto my '95 harness to mate up with the post98 SVT TPS sensor that was on my SVT TB. Not sure on the wire match up part because Pole was the one who did it for me 5 months ago before this all happened. Just go left to right across the harness and match them up that way.

I am not sure how many '95s are 3L right now. I think 3ish???? Mosh is a '95 3L. Then there is mine, and I am not sure who else is out there. A few '96 3Ls: rkneeshaw, beyondloadedse, a few others...... but again those are OBD2 systems.

Awesome car.

Thanks! ;)

Yep, they were lubed at the shop when they did the inspect/install. The ticking was because of lack of oil on the top end from a lifter. The cams and followers were lubed when I had the valve covers off when the motor was still at my place before I took it to the shop. Everything is ok man, don't scare me like that.........

It only ticked for 3-4 seconds, I had more ticking on my old motor when it was still alive.......

haha wasnt meant to scare you. just making a statement so if anyone else reads the thread down the road. Im a big proponent of ensuring the oil pump has been primed and oil pressure built up to get it up to the cams. I maybe overly cautious, since i think most people do it as you did, but having the oil pressure gauge connected and seeing just how long it took to get pressure made me realize that a quick 10-20 second cranking isnt going to do it.

I see what you are saying. When the motor was still out, I put oil in it. I cycled the crank by hand using a wrench on the crank pully bolt. Probably a good 15-20 full cycles as I was told that it wouldn't hurt. I was on the phone with Pole120 checking for chain clatter actually :).

Thanks though.... did the video seem to show that it was running correctly and was that short bit of ticking ok?

A2Steve threw a full '01 in a '95 Mystique. It even had an ATX. I've posted many pics of it over the years.

I didn't even know that. First I have heard. That's cool - hope he had an oil cooler on that ATX :laugh: - probably the only ATX 3L and a '95 at that. :cool:

Response to several posts back regarding my 95 3L....I did not convert to OBDII...I'm OBDI....just converted fuel system to a 98 SVT return style.

Honestly, the OBDI component is a SIMPLIFYING factor not a difficulty...ask the Mustang hotrodders. The computer is much less snoopy about what's going on.

BTW I'll be posting postmortem next week and after a trip to Atlanta I'm picking up my 04 3L for round 2.

I am not sure how many '95s are 3L right now. I think 3ish???? Mosh is a '95 3L. Then there is mine, and I am not sure who else is out there. A few '96 3Ls: rkneeshaw, beyondloadedse, a few others...... but again those are OBD2 systems.

Sorry mosh, I misread your info! :eek: forgive me please....... I fixed it ^^^^

I agree about OBD1 being better because you have less '02 sensors, no IMRC box to malfunction, and as far as any CELs go, I have only had one and that was for a bad o2 sensor on the rear header in 8 years :eek: Nothing else....... I just hope it is as easy to tune as OBD2 because it seems there are less options for us OBD1 users.

Tonight I powder coated my calipers and re-built them. I installed the rear calipers and the new e-brake cables. I am twitterpated by the way the e-brake feels. Mine stopped working over 6 years ago and they finally work again. It feels awesome.

I pulled out a mangled heat shield from when I ran over a dead deer about 5 years ago. It can't be repaired so I hope my parts car has a good one.

The Baers will be installed tomorrow, brakes bled, clutch bled, radiator installed, power steering line fixed, hood installed, and everything else. I HOPE to drive it out of the garage tomorrow or have it ready to possibly drive it out early sunday.... It has been a long 4-5 m onths with no contour to drive :sad:.

Someone did come over tonight with a '99 T-red and I fixed his secondary linkage, changed his plugs, dielectric greased the spark plug wires by the coil and did the copper cap. He loves the way it feels now and is a happy camper! I did all that for free too, just because I am nice :D

I installed everything last night and I let the car idle for about 20 minutes to let the coolant cycle and make sure nothing leaks and if the cooling fans turn on. Everything is working great.

The only issue is I don't think my clutch is bled properly because when the clutch is pushed in and I put it in gear the wheels spin before letting the clutch back out :confused:.....

I finally have my oil pressure gauge hooked up too :laugh: - I have had it for 4 years unhooked :blackeye:

No CELs, no ticks, no sputtering, no misfire, etc - I am glad I have simple things to worry about now, wheeew.

Back