• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Best Y-pipe

SVT

CEG'er
I saw a similar thread about the three different types of ypipes available but I wanted to start a new thread about which one is the best. It looks like the quality of the BAT ypipe is the best but I want everyones opinion. Money is not an issue, I am looking for the best ypipe to buy...that is available. This is for my final project (thesis) at pennsylvania college of technology. I can load my precis onto this website if you would like to see what exactly that im doing. Basically im putting my car on the dyno with the stock exhuast, minus the resonator.... then im putting my car on the dyno after the addition of the highflow ypipe and cat, again minus the resonator (previous owner took it out) im going to look for gains or losses in WHP and Wtorque... I have access to a dyno at my school and im looking forward to it. I begin the tests in the spring semester.

Thanks for the help!

It's a constant debate. Stock tuning was designed around the u-bend. So when removed some say they lost low range tq when used with bat.
It's been dyno'd and it has come down to specific year models that had different pcms that made the gain and loss when these bat pipes were in stalled.:shrug: For me...i noticed a gain...throughout the power band.:cool:

Here are the options.

Down pipe without U bend.
Bat y-pipe
sho-shop y-pipe(no longer made but some resell old ones)Identical to bat y-pipe
trubendz y-pipe

U-bend down pipes.
MSDS
Weapon R---Not made any more..but pop up here and there in the classifieds

It's a constant debate. Stock tuning was designed around the u-bend. So when removed some say they lost low range tq when used with bat.
It's been dyno'd and it has come down to specific year models that had different pcms that made the gain and loss when these bat pipes were in stalled.:shrug: For me...i noticed a gain...throughout the power band.:cool:

Here are the options.

Down pipe without U bend.
Bat y-pipe
sho-shop y-pipe(no longer made but some resell old ones)Identical to bat y-pipe
trubendz y-pipe

U-bend down pipes.
MSDS
Weapon R---Not made any more..but pop up here and there in the classifieds

Thanks a lot. I am definately leaning towards the Bat y-pipe right now. This is just for my thesis, I would like to know whats best though. Maybe later down the road I will add to my exhaust system... but for now just the y-pipe :). Im gonna go against what I said earlier cause money is somewhat of an issue, but not for the ypipe :laugh:..

I could do this! Could you tell me what optimized stock it? Is it the y-pipe without the cat?

When the Y-pipe is modified to remove the horrible crimped exhaust pipes. When the stop pipes come down into the y-pipe....the y-pipe merges the 2 pipes together. At this point the pipes are crushed down to 1 inch to 1.75. So it causes a huge restriction in or setup ups.

I would do a bat vs a stock y-pipe. :cool:

I think it would be good to test all three, so we can finally settle which y-pipe is the best, because we have never really seen a straight answer.

my take on this comes down to two things. you have two different designs to go with, a stock style design with the bend in it for the rear bank and one like the BAT y-pipe that has no bend for the rear bank.

I have always heard that the y-pipes without the bend loose torque. everyone has been critical of the msds y-pipe because the bend is to sharp. so if both of these hold to be true a stock optimized y-pipe would be best since it will keep torque and has a smoother bend for the rear bank.

I begin the tests in the spring semester.
I would be VERY surprised if an optimized stocker is better in any way than any aftermarket option. Just be sure whenever you do your tests that you start each run at the same ECT and IAT, if at all possible. Many people don't bother with this, but different temps can produce drastically different numbers with the exact same setup.

I'll keep my SHO Shop/BAT Y-pipe.
If you can find the post, DemonSVT made recommendations in timing for a tune for the best flowing Y-pipe (SHO/BAT). I had them saved somewhere for future reference, I'll try and check.
-J

I would be VERY surprised if an optimized stocker is better in any way than any aftermarket option. Just be sure whenever you do your tests that you start each run at the same ECT and IAT, if at all possible. Many people don't bother with this, but different temps can produce drastically different numbers with the exact same setup.

No doubt, I will make sure that the engine is up to operation temp for the multiple runs I do..

I think it would be good to test all three, so we can finally settle which y-pipe is the best, because we have never really seen a straight answer.

Im going against what I said earlier... money is a problem when it comes to that.

haha

If you wanna lend a ypipe to me ill try to add it to my study and test it.. haha

I have a spare 3-bolt stock y-pipe you could have for the cost of shipping. then you just optimize it and you have your other test.

that's exactly how horsepower TV "proved" e3 spark plugs are better than normal ones.

Not saying that aftermarket ones cant be better than stock, but once you optimize the stock y-pipe, there isnt much you can do to improve the design of it. I would think it would be a close contest.

where to begin..

Years ago...in 2005 1 person took a the crappy msds y-pipe design and modified it. He removed the V bend and made it an acutal U bend. His cfms flow went from 264 to 318. That improvement was dramatic. So holding the idea true...optimizing the stocker...you would honestly be seeing the same gains.

The problem here is now the cat tubing stays at a 2.25 all the way back to the cat back. Where bat/sho-shop opens up to a 2.5 inch.

CTA Motorsports provided us a stock vs sho-shop back to back dyno. :) Someday this damn exhaust forum will be redone. YOu have my word all this information will be organized and posted for reference and for others to use for help. This is a dyno run with the sho-shop with a catco cat installed. :blackeye: But it still was able to show good gains.
louvypipecomparison.jpg

Now to me runing a sho-shop or bat...the car ran best with the cat removed. And no.....it never sounded like crap....as longs you leave everything else in place. Especially the stock pre-cats.!

Okay here is the same sho-shop down pipe....with a cat. Then they removed the cat and put in msds y-pipe with the catco cat.

zachsjune0201.jpg

You will see an over all gain. This is where tuning is needed.

Nobody has done a full modified tune on the sho-shop. While doing a back to back dyno. Except for SHO-SHOP themselves which claimed a 8 wtq and11whp. Which we all found later to be alittle on the...BS side.

Back