• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

best way to keep chrome clean

Any ideas??

If you're talking wheels, using a quality polish would be a good start.

Wash frequently and before it gets too dirty or the dirt and brake dust will deteriorate the polish and you'll have more work.

If you do let them get really dirty, use a spray-on, hose-off wheel cleaner for chrome... keep it on the wheels, avoiding calipers & rotors. Rinse well.

For a quick polish, a PowerBall and chrome polish should make short work of a difficult job, getting them looking good and hopefully staying that way. I do know Mothers Chrome Polish does leave some "protection" and that helps with dirt.

The key like stated above is to keep them clean from the start. Get a good chrome polish (Mothers) and apply everytime you wash your car. Another good way to keep clean between car washes is to use windex window cleaner. Works great!

The key like stated above is to keep them clean from the start. Get a good chrome polish (Mothers) and apply everytime you wash your car. Another good way to keep clean between car washes is to use windex window cleaner. Works great!

Thats what I do to keep my chrome wheels clean...good job

I agree about keeping them clean from the git go and I'd use whatever I'm waxing the car with to keep them protected:idea: Using a quality wheel cleaner and good brush to get EVERYTHING is key;)

Any ideas??

Are you talking about the plastic chrome oval on the front, and the chrome strip above the reflector on the back? I used a chrome polish on mine and it took off some of the chrome on the rag, but you can't see that any came off on the chrome itself. I just don't want to use it very often, because although it works well, the chrome won't be on forever if it is coming off with 1 application.

Any ideas for the plastic chrome?

Are you talking about the plastic chrome oval on the front, and the chrome strip above the reflector on the back? I used a chrome polish on mine and it took off some of the chrome on the rag, but you can't see that any came off on the chrome itself. I just don't want to use it very often, because although it works well, the chrome won't be on forever if it is coming off with 1 application.

Any ideas for the plastic chrome?

Not knowing which polish you used on the front chome bits... but I know the different brands have different levels of aggressiveness.

I figured I would use a mild chrome polish like the Mothers when polishing was necessary, so I tried it a couple times and it worked fine. It did not remove some of the scratches, however.

I did have the chance since then to ask their tech support and they told me to use a pure carnauba on a regular basis for protection of chromed plastic. I tried their paste wax and it works pretty well, and does offer a nice glow.

The fear is -- as you found out -- that hardened chrome on metals is much different than that on plastic. While some chrome polishes are designed for quite aggressive polishing, the Mothers is mild enough to use on glass... and though evidently periodic use may not hurt with a product like that, eventually you'll have problems.

So pure carnauba paste wax is now all I use on a regular basis on my plastics.

if youre talking about wheels. i would clean them real good with windex and then give a coat of paste wax. it gives it a nice coating and makes them easier to clean the next time. seemed to keep them cleaner for a longer time as well.

Back