• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Best Replacement Headlight?

FavoriteMystaque

Hard-core CEG'er
My Mystique has a need for a set of new headlights (if I choose to fix it after a deer collision.) Is OEM Ford the best, or is a specific aftermarket better as far as durability of clearcoat?

Anyone know anything about the ones on eBay that go for like $55 + shipping?

Depo brand headlights. Very cheap replacements, but poor fitment where the headlight and fender meet. You usually end up with a big gap between the two. They tend to haze up faster as well.

Depo brand headlights. Very cheap replacements, but poor fitment where the headlight and fender meet. You usually end up with a big gap between the two. They tend to haze up faster as well.

I had depot for a year and had no hazing issues. They did have a piss poor fitment however :blackeye:

Hmm...I have Depo headlights in my Thunderbird and they fit perfectly and are still clear yet. I did swap over to stock mounts as the ones they have are more complicated. I may just pick a set of them up as they're much cheaper that way.

Depo headlights worked fine with my SVT until i split them for the hightower mod..just spend the extra loop and get OEM from bill jenkins or similar ford dealership.

Hmm...I have Depo headlights in my Thunderbird and they fit perfectly and are still clear yet. I did swap over to stock mounts as the ones they have are more complicated. I may just pick a set of them up as they're much cheaper that way.

I'm not saying Depo headlights are bad for every car. They're all obviously different designs. But for Contours, people haven't had much luck with the fitment.

Personally, I wouldn't waste any time with Depo, but that's just my .02 cents.

Ford and TYC FTW! :cool:

Ok, I just checked rockauto, and they have 2 different ones listed...standard and economy (the economy is $2 more). Is there any difference in these, lol? I'll probably just get those since I've got a rockauto discount.

ok i emailed rock auto about that and here is what they sent back. I'm not happy with it.

TYC Genera is one of the Various Manufacturer's brands. You will want to
choose Standard, although it is not guaranteed that the TYC will be the brand
you receive. STANDARD parts come from companies like TYC Genera, DEPO
(MaxZone), Kool-Vue, EagleEyes and TYG. A particular part number may be
purchased from one manufacturer today to fill out an ocean container, even if
we have that part on the shelf from another manufacturer -- that's why we
can't promise which manufacturer's part you'll receive. Regardless of
manufacturer, these parts look and perform like original equipment -- they're
all based on the same original-equipment designs.

ok because we now know even asking for TYC headlamps from rock auto won't guarantee you TYC. where would you get them? yes I'm aware OEM is a good choice but just so we have the other good option.

Back