• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bailout Fails, Now What?!

Here's the way it is.

Here's the way it is.

To start, for those bashing Corker and being anti-union and pro-transplants here is what he said - "be competitive with the rest of the industry" i.e. take market share away from the Japanese, take jobs away from my state and my constituents if you can. Period.
The argument that HOURLY pay is comparable is correct, FRINGED cost is not even in the ballpark. This is largely due to the "legacy costs" that are mostly due to pensions not health care benefits. The Japanese auto makers employees and the large majority of the non-union world must save for their own retirement as a result of competing in the global economy we live in today.
In response to a previous post that the "new" UAW is not stereotypical union of 30 years ago, I have spent time in both domestic and transplant OEM's as a Tier 1 employee and sometimes you're amazed that a car ever gets built at a union plant - and I'm 30 so this is not an obsolete problem.
Furthermore (and this is not union-bashing just a non-PC assessment), the union requirements for jobs that must be maintained force the Big Three to keep component manufacturing in house at twice the price that the suppliers could make the parts, while they expect the suppliers to assemble said parts at or below cost to try to control their costs. Same goes for the union die shops who cannot deliver on time or at a reasonable cost, while the suppliers are FORCED to source tooling overseas to meet the OEM's pricing targets - Chrysler even has a contract company that sources these dies for the suppliers, splits the cost with them, and drops the tooling on the suppliers to finish and attempt to maintain - you can guess how much concern they have for the quality of tools.
Another previous post stated that the auto companies should be allowed to go bankrupt to allow them to remove the unions - it doesn't work that way. Long term contract are exempt from bankruptcy restructuring, the most the company can due is threaten to close a plant if the union doesn't renegotiate their contract, it's a bluff if they all say no. Only legislation can reduce the power of the unions and that won't happen in Michigan.
As for people not buying cars from a bankrupt company, people still fly and the airlines are always bankrupt (except for Southwest).
If any one of the Big Three goes under the economy will tank, the state of Michigan will go bankrupt also, and several suppliers will go under also as they will lose the revenue for the past 3 months worth of parts they shipped and most likely any money they have invested for any new programs they are working on (these start around two years in advance and are in the millions for a small job, easily in the tens of millions for a large one).
As it stands right now GM has stated that they cannot survive without a merger and acquiring Chrysler was detailed in their bailout plan, however the union has blocked this merger as there WILL be jobs lost - but it obviously won't on the scale as if they both went under. Things are bad. I work for one of the most profitable suppliers and I'm laid of for half of January. Traditionally the auto workers are more proud to be union that employed; we'll see what happens this time around, but we're not off to a good start...
If you made it this far, thanks for reading my rant.

Screw the UAW...they hate management and blame them for running the company into the ground...when management can't even control their own work force to be competitive...thanks UAW!

I hate to break it to you guys, but Chrysler is done. They are DONE! It's game over...the UAW doesn't seem to get understand that this is the end. I say fawk em...

I can get a job working for a foreign automaker in a better city with better pay...lets see those UAW fawk sticks do that... :rolleyes:

The UAW: keeping idiots in chitty jobs since 1935

As for people not buying cars from a bankrupt company, people still fly and the airlines are always bankrupt (except for Southwest).

You simply can't compare purchasing an airline ticket and purchasing a car. When I buy an airline ticket from a bankrupt company, my transaction with them is finished as soon as I step on the jetway off of the plane. They got me where I needed to go and after that, I wash my hands of them. People that are buying a car that costs them 100 times more than a plane ticket want to know that the company is going to be around to honor their warranty, provide service (not everyone works on their own car and changes their own oil, you know) and have parts for them down the road in case of a breakdown or accident. Sure, people will tell all sorts of pollsters that it "doesn't make a difference", but IMO when it comes time to get the wallet out of their pocket, bankruptcy WOULD have a detrimental effect on buying a car.

Screw the UAW...they hate management and blame them for running the company into the ground...when management can't even control their own work force to be competitive...thanks UAW!

I can get a job working for a foreign automaker in a better city with better pay...lets see those UAW fawk sticks do that... :rolleyes:

So management can't figure out how to manage...and the imports pay better. I see exactly ZERO argument against the UAW here.

OK, I'll throw some facts in too...management IS managing. They are rewarding the good workforces with new plants, new product, etc. Some plant closings are logistic choices along with pure downsizing, but many are due to the attitudes of the local workforce. And welcome to the modern age, the past 5 years or so have involved many new points of restructure to the relationship between management and union, on top of the last restructure and the one before that...it's been a work in progress for many years. So if you're not on the plant floor you probably are getting history lessons.

So management can't figure out how to manage...and the imports pay better. I see exactly ZERO argument against the UAW here.

OK, I'll throw some facts in too...management IS managing. They are rewarding the good workforces with new plants, new product, etc. Some plant closings are logistic choices along with pure downsizing, but many are due to the attitudes of the local workforce. And welcome to the modern age, the past 5 years or so have involved many new points of restructure to the relationship between management and union, on top of the last restructure and the one before that...it's been a work in progress for many years. So if you're not on the plant floor you probably are getting history lessons.

No, I get stories from engineers that currently work there...

I still say :censored::censored::censored::censored: the Unions...if you're on the plant floor...you are probably spoon fed bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: from union reps...

You simply can't compare purchasing an airline ticket and purchasing a car. When I buy an airline ticket from a bankrupt company, my transaction with them is finished as soon as I step on the jetway off of the plane. They got me where I needed to go and after that, I wash my hands of them. People that are buying a car that costs them 100 times more than a plane ticket want to know that the company is going to be around to honor their warranty, provide service (not everyone works on their own car and changes their own oil, you know) and have parts for them down the road in case of a breakdown or accident. Sure, people will tell all sorts of pollsters that it "doesn't make a difference", but IMO when it comes time to get the wallet out of their pocket, bankruptcy WOULD have a detrimental effect on buying a car.

Fair enough, but a couple thing to consider - if you've worked for a bankrupt company is it flat out scary how little money there is i.e. maintenance costs cannot be paid. If the engine in your car stops due to improper maintenance you call a tow truck. If the engine on your plane stops it's a little different, but people still fly with those companies.
Also, very few people buy cars with their own money anymore. If you took out a loan for a car and you can't get it serviced you default on it and give it back.
If one of the autos fails, someone will buy them. There are still companies with cash left and while there may be no money in selling a new car, service parts are incredibly profitable, in the neighborhood of 50% to 60% margin in most cases. Consider while Hyundai started here as a solvent company, they were selling the cheapest car available while offering the best warranty. People should have been incredibly skeptical but they bought the hell out of them and continue to do so (granted now their quality is a lot better).

No, I get stories from engineers that currently work there...

I still say :censored::censored::censored::censored: the Unions...if you're on the plant floor...you are probably spoon fed bull:censored::censored::censored::censored: from union reps...
So I'm spoon fed from the union and you're spoon fed somewhere else. How does that make either one of our opinions right? I talk to engineers daily too. I read the media BS. I draw my own conclusions from a wealth of sources.

So I'm spoon fed from the union and you're spoon fed somewhere else. How does that make either one of our opinions right? I talk to engineers daily too. I read the media BS. I draw my own conclusions from a wealth of sources.

It comes down to costs and the UAW loses. The UAW can sit here and spout their rhetoric all day long, but the consuming public doesn't give a :censored::censored::censored::censored: and their almighty dollar pays the wages of the UAW. The perception of the UAW is so negative that it is going to have a rejuvenated negative effect on GM's overall image...again...For the sake of Michigan, Detroit, and the Big2...the UAW needs to die...

Fair enough, but a couple thing to consider - if you've worked for a bankrupt company is it flat out scary how little money there is i.e. maintenance costs cannot be paid. If the engine in your car stops due to improper maintenance you call a tow truck. If the engine on your plane stops it's a little different, but people still fly with those companies.
Also, very few people buy cars with their own money anymore. If you took out a loan for a car and you can't get it serviced you default on it and give it back.
If one of the autos fails, someone will buy them. There are still companies with cash left and while there may be no money in selling a new car, service parts are incredibly profitable, in the neighborhood of 50% to 60% margin in most cases. Consider while Hyundai started here as a solvent company, they were selling the cheapest car available while offering the best warranty. People should have been incredibly skeptical but they bought the hell out of them and continue to do so (granted now their quality is a lot better).

-- Airline tickets normally cost ~$300. You're in the air for about 3 hours. I still say you cannot compare the two. The relationship between company and consumer is over in a few hours as opposed to YEARS.

-- If I have a loan for a car (in my name) and I can't get it serviced, I should default on the loan??? And take that credit hit? Come on, man... you can't possibly believe that. Until that leinholder gets paid, they don't give a damn what troubles you have getting it fixed. Don't pay?? Take the repo hit on your credit score... won't be pretty.

-- The supplier chain who is going to make all of those service parts stands to take a HUGE hit if one of these guys has to file bankruptcy. Who is going to pay for the production of all those items?

Back