• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Bad Idle

ev1lbry4n

CEG'er
My 95 has been running horible lately. When driving down the road it's fine but when I come to a light or something where it goes to idle, It's very rough. It likes to stall out when idleing in reverse and sometimes just in park. I've changed plugs,gas filter,Cleaned out my K&N air filter, Wires are new. I did a injector & Intake Flush. It helped a bit but it's back to chuging again at idle. The thing that gets me is i have NO Engine lights coming up, a airbag light but thats another story all together but no engine light.

Could it be a IAC problem or a O2???

sound like IAC to me...
you can test your O2 sensors - search the forums for a how to, but you would have a CEL if you had a bad 02.

I have the same thing on my 96 but not as bad. It idles rough but if I put it in neutral it idles fine. First thought was vacuum leak. Replaced and re-routed the PCV valve and line, no help. Now I am on to the IAC. It is hidden in the back on the intake. I am searching for a test procedure for it. They cost about $70 so I want to be sure it is the problem. The PCV valve was $2.67 but took two days to put in. Dang who would have thought they would put it in such a crappy place!

bad driver's transmission mount really made me think i had a bad idle in drive and not in neutral. replaced mouint, "bad idle" went away.

mike

Don't forget if you had battery out or maybe; rarely; a blown computer fuse, you have to do an idle learn procedure. (in owners bible) Along with some road trips to get the 'box' reprogrammed to set up idle speed and fuel mixture parameters on file in there. If not done after battery it will eventually (maybe) do itself. Any way if not, rough and surging idle and a stumble on resume, dying or slamming in reverse, erratic shift speeds, constantly.

the window motor could put a load on the alternator enough to slow the idle speed 300 pm's. The ECM should catch up unless there is an abnormal load from the winderwinder motor, then it may drag the idle down. Supposed to be for Wolfeman 351.

Last edited:
Back