• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

bad gas mileage

dannimarieiro

CEG'er
:( my car by city driving onli gets like 160 miles a tank and when it reaches the Empty the gas light doesnt even come on so i dont even think it is emtpy but i dont want to take a chance anybody know why that is ???

What Contour/Mystique do you have? Which engine? Automatic or manual?

One of the first things to look at with bad mileage is maintenance items. Make sure your fuel and air filters are clean, spark plugs are in good condition, tire pressures are to spec, etc.

160 miles is around 257 km's?

That's really low, I get at least 350 ( 400+ if I happen to drive a lot of highway that week ).

350kms? That's really low, I get 700+ average...

And I can assure you there is a marked difference between a 4cyl MTX and a V6 MTX. I can get 700+ with the 4cyl. Where as the v6 will only get me 400+ as of late. However I discovered that the headers were not seated right for quite some time if ever and there was a leak in the pipes before the O2's. It seems now that my mileage is on its way back up. So there is one more thing to look for. Exhaust leaks before the O2's. Lots more power to be found this way too. :D

I don't think there is anything off. If you do a search I know there have been post on mileage on the old GTA forum. I have always gotten good mileage in the Mystake. Many others with the MTX have too. I'm pretty sure they are just running in good tune.

well yeah but man, I drove 120 kms a day and the best I ever got on average was 550-600. I dont think my subs had THAT much impact on mileage. I just wish I had gotten 700 on average!

well yeah but man, I drove 120 kms a day and the best I ever got on average was 550-600. I dont think my subs had THAT much impact on mileage. I just wish I had gotten 700 on average!

I also have a sub. I really think it will boil down to the tune of the car and the style of driving. Truely the ATX should help on the straight highway driving due to its gearing.

I also have a sub. I really think it will boil down to the tune of the car and the style of driving. Truely the ATX should help on the straight highway driving due to its gearing.

The funny thing is my style of driving is aggressive. In the winter though, I average 600kms per tank cause of the winter gas.

The funny thing is my style of driving is aggressive. In the winter though, I average 600kms per tank cause of the winter gas.

Actually that is not the only reason for reduced mileage in the winter. Cars engines run more efficiently in warm ambient tempratures. In my experience the warmer it is outside. (30+) I get my best mileage. However in the winter when it is cooler there is more time spent with the vehicle running in limp mode while ataining a more optimal temprature to run at. Even then the air coming into the engine is cooling it down more and the burn is never quite as good as a result. I truely don't believe that winter gas makes that much of an impact on mileage. After winter gas is a rather new thing and people have been getting crappy cold weather mileage for as long as there have been cars.

Back