• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Audio volume fluctuations...why?

PurpleMystique

Hard-core CEG'er
I just got my system installed:
Kenwood deck, rears, and 800W amp (8452), and Infinity fronts (682.7cf) and 10" sub (reference 1050W). Two channels from the amp power the fronts (100W RMS @2ohms x 2), the other two are bridged to the sub (200W RMS @4ohms).
Occasionally, when I have the volume fairly loud (~25 or higher out of 35), the volume will drop a bit, then come back up, then drop and back up randomly. It happens when the car's both on and off, so IDK what's causing it. I know my ground is good, could it be a loose wire somewhere else? Is the amp cutting power or what?

Okay, I checked the power wire at the battery, it's definitely good too. I think this first started happening when I rewired the deck...could that cause this? I hooked the rear speakers to the front output but nothing else was changed...I'm really confused.

I would check the deck power/grounds, wire crimps, etc. Does it happen if the system is on a long time or any time?

I think the amp is overheating. I ran it at high volume for about 45 minutes. It quieted down a little after a while, then the amp shut off and only my rear speakers (only speakers powered by the deck) still worked. I stopped and dropped the rear seat to find the amp was extremely hot to the touch...like burn the skin if you hold on too long hot.
Luckily this isn't its permanent location, but I'll have to take this into consideration when i build the final box.

Make sure the amp has breathing room, and the wiring to the sub has no frayed wires touching. Seems a 4 ohm load is fine, but a 2 ohm load should be avoided.

Back