• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Attn. ALL SVTC and Duratec owners

1999 Se Sport ATX V6 with semi spirited driving.

Copied right from the maintanence records we keep for each of our vehicles:

9/7/02- bought used @ 23,742 miles
12/19/02- in tank fuel pump, IAC, trunk spring assist @ 31,500 miles (fixed under warranty)
10/30/03- 4 new tires @ 43,438 miles
12/23/03- new bolts and gasket for end of cat. @ 45,303
12/20/04- new front brakes and pass side wheel bearing @ 57,750
12/30/04- left wheel bearing and hub @ 57,993
1/9/05- outer tie rods, both sides @ 58,300
7/5/05- 2 new tires @ 66,530
7/11/05- new front tie rods (under warranty) @ 66,816
1/29/06- new battery w/7r warr @ 73,500
5/14/06- new bumper covers, drivers 1/4 panel, paint and frame straightening @ 73,800
11/21/06- new imrc actuator @ 80,500
12/28/06- new rear struts, rear springs, front lower control arms, bushings @ 81,000
12/28/06- 2 new tires @ 81,000
12/28/06- new stabilizer endlinks @ 81,000
3/9/07- new driver's side stabilizer endlink (under warranty) @ 83,600

All oil changes have been performed on a regular 3k mile basis, tire rotation and front end alignments are kept up on. 1 coolant flush has been performed around 60-70k miles I believe. That is all that I can think of now.

1997SE
bought with 91K on it...now as 130K

Replaced Emission Control & Exhaust System at 100K
Replaced TSS & TSS wiring pack at 128K

I do my own regular mainanance & had no major problems since fixing the TSS issue...she been running outstanding at GLD.

Love This Car

'98 SVT built 3/25/97
125K mi.
Daily driver since day 1. 75% highway - work flextime, so not much stop & go.
- Airbag sensor replaced at 18K (warranty)
- IAC Valve replaced by me at 19K in an attempt to reduce throttle hang
- On 4th set of front rotors - replaced at 17K (warranty), 32K (warranty), 81K
- On 4th set of rear rotors - replaced at 38K, 78K, 119K
- Replaced water pump/t-stat/WP hoses for preventive maintenance at 62K
- LF wheel bearing replaced at 69K
- Plugs/wires at 77K - looked like they had another 20K left in them
- Both rear wheel bearings replaced at 80K
- RF wheel bearing replaced at 90K
- Struts/springs replaced at 94K
- Fuel pump replaced at 117K - had started hesitating in low tank/right turn scenario
- AC compressor and evaporator replaced at 117.5K
- Engine stab-o-shock replaced at 120K - wasn't really necessary

And of course this doesn't include regular wear items like tires (on 4th set), belts (replaced once), filters, fluids, etc.

Still on original clutch, which seems to be working fine.

99 svt contour.
bought at 92K
92K:
-front brakes
-fog bulbs
-clutch
-IAC motor
-TH fix
at 100K:
-plugs and wires
-pcv
-fuel filter
-clean air filter
-water pump belt and tensioner
-ford honey
-rear sway-bar end-links and bushings
-clean/grease trunk popper actuator

98 CSVT
Purchased in October 06 137k Miles

Motor Blew in October 06 (138k Miles), Swapped in a 3L
Accident in December o6 (3 cars hit me) Ouch to the car :(

March 2007
Discovered 1 Bad Strut, 2 broken Springs.

Edit: Add broken Diff as of Today.

Last edited:
The only "extra" things I've done are in my sig. Had some parts failures (front springs repl. under warranty, sway bar connecting rod, swaybar snapped recently, I just removed it and drive a little more coservatively) Housing cracked on my alternator, so that was completely replaced. and ofcourse wear items like rotor and pads and tires. I've got about 259,000kms and I drive it like I robbed a bank) All in all very reliable and barely any rust.

Day of purchase 48,541
48k New cabin filter replaced. Black as black
53k Wheel bearing went bad
53k Tie rod was replaced front driver
54k 3rd gear synchro went bad. Rebuilt the trans
57k Camshaft sensor went bad
57k Backend sag spring/shocks replaced all around.
60k Accumulator/lines for air condition was replaced.
63k Driver side ball joint and control arm replaced.
current miles 63012.

Yes i am super anal about my car. I replace everything and anything that might be broke. Can you say compulsive disorder.!!!

3 years later and only 11,200 added...but the list is much longer.

98 CSVT bought in oct 08 with 104k. drove like a grandma for a couple months, now the car has almost 137k. (yes i drive A LOT) and i also drive like a complete D * CKHEAD.... yeah i beat the living monster out of that car everyday, almost always hit imrc in first gear about 5-15 times a day. redline about 5 times a day, give or take, depending on the how far im driveing, roads, etc. i take VERY good care of the car except for my driving habits :rolleyes: i never drive it hard until its warmed up, always use premium, on time sythetic oil changes, etc. so far, i have replaced the tires like 4 times (alignment) right fromt wheel bearing, 2 weeks ago, i blew the coolant hose from the waterpump to the block, replaced it and cleaned uim/lim with new gaskets, new valve cover gaskets and spark plugs. done brakes front pads/rotors, rear pads (needs new rotors tho) all the usual preventative maint, fluid flushes/changes belts etc. replaced rear sway bar end links (like they dont all go bad anyway...) right fromt lower ball joint about 2 months ago, and all sorts of little stuff here and there, mostly because I want it done, not totally neccesary work. the only thing it needs right now, is some body repair from an accident in october right after i got it, i think maybe tie rods? p/s pressure hose, and a couple various gaskets. also could really use 4 new struts and springs...lowering springs :cool: the car runs amazing, never given me any real problems exept the coolant hose. i beat the hell out of it constantly and 90% of the time, it just begs for more...

1998 Contour SE MTX bought new

56,000 miles.
Rarely sees redline.
Driven grandpa style most of the time, with occasional spirited driving, usually when I'm in a foul mood.
Only 1 CEL in its life, 2 months ago. Slow 02 sensor. Added cleaner to the gas for a couple of tanks and it cleared up, no replacement.
Original water pump.

Only part replaced to date (besides tires and filters), one battery.
I suppose I should update this.

One shift cable end broke a year and a half ago. Didn't strand me, as I was in first gear when it went. Cheap and easy fix.

Alternator died two weeks ago at about 80,700. Water pump finally gave up the ghost one week and 300 miles later when I floored it to get around slow traffic. She's left me stranded twice in six days. After nearly 11 years of trouble-free service I suppose it had to happen sometime. CEL remains on, still the O2 sensors. I'll get around to changing them sometime soon. While changing the alt. I found that some suspension bushings need attention. But there's remarkably little play in these parts. Original strut perches are STILL tight and good. And it is now finially time for her first brake pads. Downshifting > braking!

Current mileage is approx. 81,000. Still driven regularly.

Day of purchase 48,541
48k New cabin filter replaced. Black as black
53k Wheel bearing went bad
53k Tie rod was replaced front driver
54k 3rd gear synchro went bad. Rebuilt the trans
57k Camshaft sensor went bad
57k Backend sag spring/shocks replaced all around.
60k Accumulator/lines for air condition was replaced.
63k Driver side ball joint and control arm replaced.
current miles 63012.

Yes i am super anal about my car. I replace everything and anything that might be broke. Can you say compulsive disorder.!!!

I am the same way. If i think it might break i will replace it.:shrug:

99 svt contour.
bought at 92K
92K:
-front brakes
-fog bulbs
-clutch
-IAC motor
-TH fix
at 100K:
-plugs and wires
-pcv
-fuel filter
-clean air filter
-water pump belt and tensioner
-ford honey
-rear sway-bar end-links and bushings
-clean/grease trunk popper actuator

-left and right LCA
-left and right outer tie rods
-front sway bar end links
-royal purple trans fluid
-oil drain plug rounded off and replaced
-power antenna mast
-different air filter
-different pcv valve
-new rear sway bar endlinks
-short shifter
-exhaust
-tires and winter tires/ wheels
-head lamps

just waiting to be installed
-brakes
-brake fluid flush
-new left and right half shafts.
-oil pan gasket
-flex pipe

i am currently at 111,000 miles

purchased new Nov 2000, Rosedale (near Houston), TX
Now: 110k miles, 9 yrs old

~ 20k - EGR replaced - clogged completely shut
~ 30k - IAC replaced - clogged completely shut
~ 30k - sunroof motor quit, replaced, but the idiots broke the inside of the motor cover, tried to glue it back on
~ 36k - PCV replaced - clogged completely shut ... a theme here ;p
...or thereabouts, these were all early in the car's life.

I drive moderately, but I know what she can do. I push hard now and then. Twice on roadtrips I've gone 80-85mph the whole tank of gas and gotten 29-31mpg! Usually about 25-26mpg going 65mph. City = 23mpg.

I do all my own oil & filter changes
35-40k - new tires, Michelin Harmony 80k warranty.... LOVE THEM, still got them, they've saved my life a couple times.
40-45k-ish all Brakes and muffler
40k-ish - recall for bad radiator fluid level sensor (tripped when car parked on steep grades)
80k-ish - sunroof motor went bad again, but works intermittently. Periodically have to take out, tinker, and put back in.
80k-ish - fuel pump burned out. Had to have it working immediately, so paid to have it done :( Idiots wouldn't go thru the backseat like I told them to, and dropped the tank & that route - much more expensive.
80k-ish - notice paint on hood, trunk lid, roof was all starting to crack pretty badly.
90k - new serpentine belt, preventative.
The big 100k service I had done - new plugs and such.
100k - big 1" chip of paint now gone from hood :(
105k - self brake job: new front disks, refurbished/rebuilt cylinders/calipers, new fluid, new pads. Some severe rust, had to take a slegdehammer to them.

For a couple years now - a clunk from the trunk. I figured it was the spare tire or tools. Found out it was the rear passenger tire suspension/strut mount up top inside the wheelwell. It's rusted and the strut/mount whatever is just kinda sitting there loose in the hole and 'clunks' whenever I hit a pothole or large bumps. Not of immediate concern tho. A trusted Mech said it'd likely be fine for awhile longer. (not really as severe as it sounds)

purchased new Nov 2000, Rosedale (near Houston), TX
Now: 110k miles, 9 yrs old

~ 20k - EGR replaced (clogged completely shut
~ 30k - IAC replaced - clogged completely shut
~ 36k - PCV replaced - clogged completely shut ... a theme here ;p
...or thereabouts, these were all early in the car's life.

I drive moderately, but I know what she can do. I push hard now and then. Twice on roadtrips I've gone 80-85mph the whole tank of gas and gotten 29-31mpg! Usually about 25-26mpg going 65mph. City = 23mpg.

I do all my own oil & filter changes
Brakes and muffler about 40-45k
50k-ish - recall for bad radiator fluid level sensor (tripped when car parked on steep grades)
90k - new serpentine belt, preventative
The big 100k service I had done - new plugs and such.
105k - self brake job: new front disks, refurbished/rebuilt cylinders/calipers, new fluid, new pads. Some severe rust, had to take a slegdehammer to them.

For a couple years now - a clunk from the trunk. I figured it was the spare tire or tools. Found out it was the rear passenger tire suspension/strut mount up top inside the wheelwell. It's totally rusted out and the strut/mount whatever is just kinda sitting there loose in the hole and 'clunks' whenever I hit a pothole or large bumps. Not of immediate concern tho. A trusted local Mech said it'd likely be fine for awhile longer.
:eek: I might find another mechanic to trust

I purchased it new, and its now got 287,000 miles. I drive VERY easy and 90% Interstate driving on cruise control.

Replaced thus far:

one set each of brake pads and linings
one set of front rotors and rear brake drums
all the struts (wasted money, I'd never do this again)
outer tie rods
spark plugs every 75,000 miles
spark plug wires at 200,000 miles
oil pan (stripped drain plug threads)
alternator at 150,000 miles
two batteries
the usual fluid and filter changes per Ford's schedule
tires 40,000 - 90,000 miles life, depending on brand used

Still have original:

water pump
PCV valve
wheel bearings
hoses
O2 sensors
exhaust system

Currently needs (and I don't intend to fix) :

Right front door speaker
Rear sway bar bushings
Recharge A/C......very small leak
Good wax job and leather treatment
Precats indicate low efficiency (CEL on last 200,000 miles)

The 99 SE I had, drove it what I would call "normally". Daily driving usually shifted around 4K, spirited driving typically once or twice a week, sometimes more. Bought it at 27K miles, don't recall any engine mechanicals being replaced, driven a good 10-15K miles a year. Water pump went around 132K, my inattention made the engine go with it.

2000 SVT, bought with 108K miles as the 7th owner. replaced the starter twice, but I believe that was due to the fact the flywheel was worn down and chewed up by a couple of dowel pics bouncing around inside the casing. Ended up replacing the 2.5 with a 3L since the flywheel got so worn the starter could no longer engage it. Driven more politely than the SE as it's had more overall issues. Also no longer daily driven as I am in college and live less than a half mile from the small campus.

2000 CSVT with 116k

3rd owner, bought in May 2003 with 29k on it
Used to drive it hard, drove in 3 NASA full weekend HPDE's, and 2 trips to the dragstrip, plus general spirited driving until tranny started acting up
Split driving time between the SVT and my Jeep for the last 3 years

PO dropped in a K&N, I have cleaned it twice since then
30k, replaced water pump and belt per CEG recommendations
35k engine blew on the Interstate, replaced under extended warranty
38k replaced gas tank and fuel pump (pretty sure pistons/rods/wrist pins whacked the tank pretty hard and caused the pump damage, and I think the stealership fubar'd the tank when they dropped it to do the pump) - warranty
40k replaced IAC
40k replaced 2 CV boots
45k replaced all tires with g-force again
60k replaced all brake pads
65k replaced all cats - warranty
65k replaced moonroof motor - warranty
80k replaced front struts with Bilsteins, plugs and wires
90k replaced all tires with g-force again
112k replaced water pump and belt - leaking and belt snapped
112k replaced power antenna
115k finally found cause of trunk leak - vents on trunk sides under the bumper cover were leaking

Currently needs:

tranny has had a bad 3rd synchro since about 80k, haven't tracked it due to that, tranny also recently doesn't like to shift into 2nd, probably shift fork problems
rear struts
alignment
headlights refreshed, covers getting pretty cloudy
windshield polished, it's been sandblasted thanks to the crap on the beltway
some type of oil leak by P/S pump, looks like valve cover is leaking
moonroof needs work, either motor gears are stripped or track is messed up
still working on throttle hang issue
have a set of Brembo blanks for the front once I need pads again, and a set of track pads if I ever get the tranny fixed

All in all I have been happy with the car. The engine didn't piss me off too much as it was under warranty. The tranny issue really bothers me as I tend to think of manuals as essentially maintenance free, and only 80k before internal problems is unacceptable.

Got 97SE at 68k
previous owner was an old church lady. drove it like...well a church lady

68k + 1/2 mile: water pump and thermostat :mad: dealer payed
--------------------
69k: tires
muffler
wires and coil
rotors and pads
--------------------
75k: battery
alternator
--------------------
80k: tie rod ends
--------------------
83k: front wheel bearing (both)
rear calipers
--------------------
95k: thermostat (again)
--------------------
96k: parking brake cables
brake lines (I swear to this day the shop cut the brake line instead of parking brake and lied to me but whatever, never going back there again: Sirl's in Parma, OH is not to be trusted)
--------------------
100k: main cat
ect
pcv
--------------------
101k? Time for some struts and springs :blackeye:

Can you tell someone's grandma drove this before me? 100k on struts wow!

from memory:

purchased 'tour with 702xx miles
(atx replaced by ford when car was new)
-atx blew second and 4th synchros 89k
-waterpump, thermostat, hoses replaced at same time, but went bad prior to 89k
-not sure if it counts, but had to remove,clean throttle body and clean intake passages uim 90-something k miles
-engine wiring harness cracking 90k-100k miles
-blown head gasket, melted wiring on harness, dead 95se 106-110k miles

btw, i drove it like a bastard, which didnt help, but it was fun while it lasted...the whole 10minutes :eek::blackeye:

1999 CSVT
Bought Sept 07 with 69,900 miles (I'm the 3rd owner).
-72k miles did full tune-up
-76k miles replaced cam timing sensor
-88k miles repalced driver side front window actuator
-99,100 miles (where it sits today) I just finished installing a new fuel pump that gave me no warning of failure.

I drive fairly easy especially since I regularly am carrying my 17 m/o twins with me.

98 (E0) csvt with 235k on body and 225k on motor. Bought the car in 03 with 67k on it and 10k later the water pump went bad. At 84k I spun a bearing....don't know how but insurance replaced it along with the transmission with a slightly used set up with 74k on motor and tranny. At 126k I had to replace the shift cable and around 140000 and yr 2006 AC condenser got a hole in it. Same year rack and pinion went out which is a pain in the a@$ to change. I finally changed the front brakes out at 180000....yes that was the first time I changed them since owning the car. And just recently (225k) I had to change out all water hoses. Other than that the car has been great. I have kept the oil changed in it every 3k....done a tune up on, replaced tires, etc. I do have a few minor issues that I need to fix like the throttle hang, trunk motor release, very small oil leak, replace parking brake cable, figure out why air only blows out defrost vents, and get front end painted along with replacing passenger side skirt. Oh yeah I still haven't changed the clutch out either. I drive this car daily and a good chunk on the highway but by no means am I driving miss daisy tho!

Back