• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone running a 225/50R16?

95_Mystique

Hard-core CEG'er
Wondering if anyone runs a 225 tire instead of a 215. Looking for something a little wider to handlel the power of the 3L without spinning. I'm running Dunlop Direzza DZ101's right now in a 215, and they do pretty well. Just looking for a replacement sometime within the next year or so. I'm kinda eyeing up the Continental ExtremeContact DW's. They have great ratings and weigh less than most of the competition. Thoughts? Any pics of 225's on an SVT? I have snow tires on a different set of rims, so i'm not worried about having all seasons.

You have pics? are they the ones that were on for your callender pic and before the car was lowered? If so, then i love the way they look!

Yes, the 225s were on for all my calendar submission pics. They were on when I was slammed for a while. Then I went with some 205/50s.

Here are some quick pics for more reference

Stock height

IMG_2906.jpg

Slammed height

IMG_1818.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

I can't remember the brands at all lol So long ago. At my slammed height, I had a small rub on lock out with left turn. And of course my fender wells were out. Stock height, I'm pretty sure I remember no rubbing. But when I was slammed, I threw on a 3mm spacer up front, and didn't rub anymore.

I'm running mine on the Conti Extreme Contact DWS in 225/50's right now. Got them this spring, running Eibach's w/BAT struts 1.25" low. I rub at full left lock but no other issues. Just a note on the tires, love'em in general. They plane a little easier than previous tires, but those were 205/55's. I have some minor lip bends on my wheels and the vibration was alot more notable with these. Not sure if it's sidewall related or what...

That is the size i am running on mine. I think you will need more than just a larger tire to avoid spinning though. It is still pretty easy to do with my svt with only a drop in filter. They are pretty fat looking on the car though.

Also keep in mind I believe they are not the greatest on this car in heavy rain as it was raining very hard yesterday and my car was floating on the road and I had to drop below the limit.

I'm looking at stickier tires that prevent hydroplaning better, so overall, i'd be getting a better tire. I'm not worried about water.

I am running 225/50/16. I have no rubbing in front at all, and only minor rubbing on the wheel well liner at near full bottoming out over large bumps (stock rear suspension). They do NOT hit the fenders, it is the wheel well liner on the furthest inside edge of the tire.

Tires that came on my E1s when I bought them are 225/50/r16 Fuzion HRis, they rub a little on the wheel well at full lock with stock suspension, rear doesn't rub AFAIK.

Back