• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone ever had something that simply won't "take paint" well?

Berkel

Hard-core CEG'er
I think this is the 6th time I've tried to paint my M3 spoiler, and it absolutely refuses to cooperate. I've painted in the spring.. summer.. winter, you name it.

I've also tried different combos..

duplicolor primer (wrinkles) --> duplicolor black (wrinkles)

krylon enamel primer(looks good!) --> any paint = wrinkles

Has anybody had any luck with this thing? I ripped it off my trunk and polished the remains off and I'm glad it's gone :eek:

33643d1177383021-fs-e46-m3-rear-spoiler-picture-001.jpg

--

If anybody passes through Toledo, I'm giving this away for free :laugh:

I have the same spoiler and used the same paint and mine has been holding up well for about 6-7 years. Maybe you got a bad batch of polyurethane/whatever they use?

When I painted mine, I used several very think coats of primer, base and clear.

That diagram is awesome!

I've always gone by

Lacquer only on lacquer.
Enamel on lacquer.
Enamel over enamel.

Recoat windows suck on enamel. I've always loved lacquer but it never seems durable.

Gimme it, ill paint it midnight red and put it on my car.
I think my problem may have been contamination. I always degreased, but maybe there was something worse. Even the primer would wrinkle up, which is something I've never seen. I never tried wiping down with acetone or mineral spirits or anything :(

If you ever swing by Ohio I'll sand it down and hand it over :laugh: You've always been good to me.

I have the same spoiler and used the same paint and mine has been holding up well for about 6-7 years. Maybe you got a bad batch of polyurethane/whatever they use?

When I painted mine, I used several very think coats of primer, base and clear.
Dang! I'm not sure man, glad yours has held up that long!

Here's the sideskirt I just painted with the same paint. (thanks again Sam and Joe!)

1lsh.jpg

Left = old skirt ------ Right = duplicolored skirt

came out real nice. Looks better than my other skirt, I'm gonna polish that one up tonight since I always neglect the skirts.

I've never had good durability with duplicolor though. Waiting for the snow to stop before putting it on :cry:

--

Thanks for the input guys! I was a little heated when I made the thread :D

Also, since my jackpoint tabs were broke, blu_fuz told me to just screw them on.

This method worked very well for me, in case anyone else wants "hellaflush" jackpoint covers :D

duzw.jpg

I drilled a hole and tightened up a 4" bolt to get the covers nice and snug.

wsd8.jpg

Then one screw diagonal, from the bottom through to the sideskirt rib. Then popped off the 4" bolt.

I originally was gonna use the big bolt to hold everything in place, but it kept rubbing on the rocker :nonono: I didn't think the clearances were that close that a single nut caused it to rub.

Not the prettiest, but I've dealt with sagging jackpoint covers my whole life. I can deal with a little screw. Sounds like a personal problem :laugh:

Spray bombing is an art form.
Heard that

I do a lot of fiberglass repairs and I couldn't tell you how many times I come inside and tell my college buddies 'Well that was a waste of 2 hours!'

Always learning though :) beer keeps me on an even keel

Back