• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Any product that gets rid of yellowing headlights?

Westwildcat

CEG'er
I notice my headlight housing on the passenger side of the car has a yellow tinge to it as compared to the drivers side. Does anyone know of any product that will clean that away without wrecking the plastic? Or am I due to buy a new one?

Thanks

wetsand and polish...or buy new headlights like i did. you'll never get them that clear.
this, and if you have a buffer you can get them SOOO clear after sanding them

after doing that you have to keep up with protecting them, and I usually have to restore them every year

not bad for $5 and an hour out of your day every year :)

Bought some 3m "wetordry" sanding paper and used some things i already had. plastic x, rubbing compound, and some ultiment cutting compound this is how they came out. sorry my phone flash was not on and the room was sorta dark...

Before
IMG_20120301_230940.jpg

During
IMG_20120301_224129.jpg

IMG_20120301_225208.jpg

IMG_20120301_222755.jpg

After
IMG_20120301_2311040001.jpg

Best Cost effective method I use is Mothers Rubbing Compound Works Good IMO

Go to Autozone (or any auto parts store) get the 3M restoring kit. I will stand by that product until i find something better. The only thing you need is a drill and about an hour. Ive restored so many sets of headlights for so many different cars. Nothing works better. And after your done, use some "headlight sealant" same isle as the 3M kit normally. I think Mothers and Blue Magic make some.

The 3M kit is AWESOME. I honestly believe my lenses are clearer now than the day I drove it off the lot brand new.

Before pics (I didnt take any befores of the P side):
Lbefore.jpg

Leftbeforefront.jpg

Leftbefore.jpg

After pics:
Rightfrontview.jpg

Rightaftertop.jpg

Leftcorner.jpg

Leftaftertop.jpg

Leftafterfront.jpg

Beforeandafter.jpg

Back