• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

any one know anything about Differentials?

ElKy

Has Nutz Bigger than Yours. Want Proof?
so the rear end on my truck was making some funny banging noises last week.
and wednesday morning it just decided to make grinding noises and not let the truck move..much.

so i took it apart.
looks pretty good here:
diff1.JPG

not looking too good here though....
diff2.JPG

i wonder if thats normal?
diff3.JPG

diff4.JPG

i found a shop in town that has a new eaton LSD in stock and a set of 3.73 gears...the 4.10's are no fun for a driver.
but unfortunately the shop must not have finished setting up my pinion and carrier bearings because i haven't heard from them.
i was hoping to button this up tonight, but looks like it will be first thing in the morning.

shouldn't have been allowed to do one leggers...
thats GM's G80 locker...supposed to be pretty strong.
and this one only had 28K on it.

oh. I didn't know it was a locker. I don't know a whole lot about differentials but I do know that they're not supposed to do that.

Did the shop fix it?

Wrong, if its the 10 bolt version, they are affectionately named "gov-bombs". If you have the 10 bolt the easiest thing to do is swap in a 14 bolt 6 lug. they are direct swaps and most come with 3.73's much stronger axle.

What year is your truck

the truck is a 1987, 454, 4.10's (was), 14 bolt, 10.5" ring.

now it has an eaton lsd with 3.73's

fun job, but i wouldnt want to do it again.

Those are a little stronger, but the eaton should do just fine. is it 4x4? if so you need to match your front axle gear ratio with the rear. I'm assuming its not 4x4 just a 3/4 or ton truck right?

Those are a little stronger, but the eaton should do just fine. is it 4x4? if so you need to match your front axle gear ratio with the rear. I'm assuming its not 4x4 just a 3/4 or ton truck right?

You don't know much about Elky, do you?:laugh:

Going by this assumption, I have two words for you....

HE KNOWS

Back