• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Aluminum sill GB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
im posting alot...

does anyone have a picture of door sills a contour? i was looking at mine today and saw that there isnt much there to put something over... so i'm wondering how they would look on the car

there are pics in the old forum, there was a thread under Group buy section under Aluminum Sills...or something like that

check there and if u cant find it, i will get a link for u...

i CAN cut aluminium...can u get EL plates? or tell me where to get them?

the site i posted isnt a good source... i'm looking around and trying to find out the thickness of the EL panels.

i'll let you know. who knows, if i can work this out, i may want to have a set made whether a group buy can be organized or not

the site i posted isnt a good source... i'm looking around and trying to find out the thickness of the EL panels.

i'll let you know. who knows, if i can work this out, i may want to have a set made whether a group buy can be organized or not

What's the overall thickness of the EL panel and the sill? And where would the wires be fastened? It would look crappy if they showed. Remember the sill gasket is mounted on a ridge of metal so it looks like the ridge would have to be notched for the wires to pass through and then padded to prevent damaging the insulation. Then the gasket would be replaced over the notch. The wires could be hidden under the carpeting and then run up to the headlight switch. OR how accessible are the wires for the door switches for the interior lights?

(All this for something that we'll probably never see anyway.)

couldnt u hide the wires under the inner door sill? u might have to do JUST a little modification, but i doubt the EL panel wires are to big...

about the thickness, if i know how thick the EL plates are, the aluminum will be VERY thin!

couldnt u hide the wires under the inner door sill? u might have to do JUST a little modification, but i doubt the EL panel wires are to big...

about the thickness, if i know how thick the EL plates are, the aluminum will be VERY thin!

If the EL is the same thickness as the ones for the indiglo gauges from last years GB, they should be fine. They were thin enough to be bent during install with no problems. The wires were very thin, but the connections were fragile. To me that could be a problem. AND, since the cover is aluminum, what about insulating the connections so they don't short out? A couple years ago, a CEG'er (don't remember who), was gonna make up EL for gauges and found that fastening the connectors to the EL was a royal PITA. Although I'd really like to have these, I doubt if anyone can come up with them.

indiglo is essentially EL. i know theres alot of possibilities for problems, but there has to be a way to do it. actually, if you look around ebay a bit, you will find mustang ones and others that say that they can do custom ones. but the price on those is quite high. i dont have internet in my dorm right now, so i'll look more into the EL when i regain connection

how much do they want for a custom one? and by the way, let me know in a PM or in this post if you come across any EL's the size of a door sill

thanks

EL sills for a Suzuki Swift

elsillplaterz1.jpg

EL sills for a Mazada 6

elmazda6cn9.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE: i took measurements a couple weeks ago and today i got on the computer and started designing the sills...i just need to prefect the SVT writing, make it 3d and then hopefully soon we can make a test run.

UPDATE: i took measurements a couple weeks ago and today i got on the computer and started designing the sills...i just need to prefect the SVT writing, make it 3d and then hopefully soon we can make a test run.

Damn skippy. Can't wait.

Update!

Update!

so today i got on mastercam with my dad and we put some substance (3D) to the rear sills and they are gonna look SO SWEET! they are 1.5mm thick with the writing cut in 0.5mm.

i have the shape of the front sills but i need to kno the font of the SVT lettering or...
If anyone has MASTERCAM ART...if they can scan the lettering in and turn it into a CAD pic and send me the file through email (PM me for it) that would BE AMAZING!

thanks

_Ben

so today i got on mastercam with my dad and we put some substance (3D) to the rear sills and they are gonna look SO SWEET! they are 1.5mm thick with the writing cut in 0.5mm.

i have the shape of the front sills but i need to kno the font of the SVT lettering or...
If anyone has MASTERCAM ART...if they can scan the lettering in and turn it into a CAD pic and send me the file through email (PM me for it) that would BE AMAZING!

thanks

_Ben
Show us some pics please. Sounds like it coming along nicely.

as far as something for the non svt'ers...maybe you can produce some blanks and we'll get parkedcar to do etched vinyl for them? It won't be ideal but it's better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back