• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

alternator safe load limits for ams...

chrisl311

CEG'er
not sure if this is the right place for this but im wondering if my alternator will be able to handle my upcoming setup. just curious what you all think...\

there will be 3 amps total,
one of those kenwood sub combo that has the 6.5 woofers, like 75 watts,
a 2 channel amp that does about 150 watts,
and a 4 channel infinity amp that does like 111 watts per channel.

so total about around 670 watts continuous, does it matter if its coming from 3 different amps or one total? is the amount that it will pull excessive for the stock alternator? thanks.

no need to worry about it. You may want to upgrade the stock alternator wiring and ground wire but anyone with a decent system in a contour should want to do that anyways. The stock alternator is one of the better rated output alternators that you will find in a stock vehicle and it can handle more than what your putting in the vehicle.
I'm running about 870w RMS now with only half of the wire upgrade in place. I'm running the original battery without a cap and my headlights barely dim at high volume.

My gauge cluster lights and the backlighting on my faceplate were dimming the other day with the volume around 75%. No amps or anything special yet. I was beginning to wonder if I should upgrade my alternator or add a capacitor when I add my 6 channel amp. I didn't think the alternator was as strong as you (carpepoon) say it is.

My gauge cluster lights and the backlighting on my faceplate were dimming the other day with the volume around 75%. No amps or anything special yet. I was beginning to wonder if I should upgrade my alternator or add a capacitor when I add my 6 channel amp. I didn't think the alternator was as strong as you (carpepoon) say it is.

Wow.. step back and think about what you just said.

Go ahead... take your time... I can wait.....

You actually think that your face plate dimming on your radio when that is the only powered part of your stereo.. actually has something to do with your alternator being to weak for your head unit?!?!

It is likely a poor ground for your head unit which is the problem. And it doesnt hurt to upgrade the power wire for your head unit either. Think about what you have it hooked up to. The factory wiring is meant for a factory radio which doesn't even have an amplifier. I upgraded mine to 10ga wired directly back when I used my CDA-9835 to power my speakers (now I use a 4 channel and the head unit amp is switched off)

If you dont believe me... before the gurus chime in.. check out the old forums.. this "I need a new alternator" vs simply upgrading the alternator wiring issue was beat to death.. But if you only have an upgraded head unit and your having dimming problems with it ,then your problems are MUCH more simple and I can guarantee it has nothing to do with your alternator.

Last edited:
The alternator was just a theory that has now been proven wrong. The bad ground might explain why recently the deck shut off randomly a few times while driving down the road. Although it seemed to only do that with a certain cd playing.

Or the lack of a decent power supply? Im gonna put my pioneer on 60watts then come on here and ask why its blowing fuses and display dimming K?

Back