• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Alignment

kdxracer86

CEG'er
What effect will aftermarket lowering kits/struts have on alignment? Is there enough adjustment for a solid 4-wheel alignment? My car had the BAT struts on it when I bought it (not sure if springs are stock or were replaced as well). I just had new tires installed (Kumho Ecsta AST 225-50R16) and was told I should replace some parts before alignment. I am having a hard time finding eccentric bolts to replace on the rear. The mechanic also suggested going back to stock struts. Won't that give me too much swashing in corners?

What are your goals for the car?

Lowering the car will increase negative camber, which cannot be adjusted without an aftermarket camber kit (and the ones currently available aren't all that great). That being said, most lowering springs aren't going to affect it too much. The toe alignment will also be changed, but that can easily be brought back into spec.

What are your goals for the car?

Well, my only goal at this time is for it to drive straight and not unevenly wear my tires. The car was already lowered when I got it. Since I've never replaced 'bad' struts before to have learned the difference in feel I cannot even be sure these are bad. But if I do decide to replace them I'm unsure about going back to stock. Again, I never felt how it rode that way but of course want the best performance. It doesn't sound like using the aftermarket camber kit will be advantageous.

Back