• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Alignment Problems with BAT kit on a 98 CSVT

naujcdl

No, I'm not the coffee guy
All,

Getting all details out before questions come up:

I had the BAT kit installed about three weeks ago and while under there, to the eye all is good, and even before then it all seems good.

NOW, before, during and after the install, nothing leaks, nothing is broken, all looked/is normal.
Before the install, the car did have two broken springs one at each corner, to be specific, right rear and left front.

All was put together as spec after the install and car rides firm, as it should, but the car after two alignments at the same shop and with thorough talks about the numbers on the BAT sheets, the car pulls to the right if i put the wheel straight as it should be when on a non sideways road, aka, a normal even road, at normal to high speeds.

Attached you will find the specs we put the car to as mentioned by the BAT specs the second time around, but on the first time around the guy did the alignment by the Ford specs as their machine does it.

DO know this, this shop is good. That doesn't mean anything at times but it is known for being good at doing their stuff, apparently, this time they are not so good with Ford (it is a BMW and race car builder shop).

My car has no camber plates, is NOT ABUSED (ask Dacker, he knows how anal i am about my SVT) and i do notice the car was babied before me but that is to assume, regardless it is a used car. Eh, do i need camber plates based on my after second alignment numbers????

The shop went on the numbers based on the spec sheet the BAT site says to go by or refer to... http://208.109.215.220/files/contour.PDF

Thanks for your help in finding out what ta f* is making the car do this misalignment problem.

Attachments

• Scan..pdf
    355.4 KB · Views: 0
Hey naujcdl. before you go tearing into the suspension again, thought i'd suggest that one of your brake calipers is not releasing properly.

I've had this symptom before and since you've disturbed everything it could be worth checking something easy.

Jack up each wheel and ensure they turn freely.

If this isn't your issue; get a tape measure and compare the heights of each fender. This will help find out if the dampers are properly assembled and seated.

hope this helps ....G

Good points for sure!

I will do this today and go from there. Also, based on what we know and i honestly don't know on this: what do camber plates do? I mean, would they help this?

Thanks!

Good points for sure!

I will do this today and go from there. Also, based on what we know and i honestly don't know on this: what do camber plates do? I mean, would they help this?

Thanks!
.... when you lower your car, you change the angle that the tire meets the road (lowering causes the bottom of the wheel to be further out and the top further in).

You should only really use camber plates if you have an issue, ie you want to bring your camber back into spec. Driving with too much negative camber will increase cornering grip.... but will prematurely wear the inside of your tire.

I would find your issue before adding another layer of complexity ..... G.

based on those numbers the car should pull to the left ever so slightly with the wheel centered. since it pulls to the right there must be something dragging on the right side. check both the front and rear calipers. on the rear caliper make sure that the parking brake isnt hanging and staying engaged. if it is it could be from a seized cable which is pretty common on these cars.

Back