• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Ahhhh..Crap!!!!!...Broken Bleeder screw

KyleH

CEG'er
I was trying to bleed my brakes this morning and I snapped off the bleeder screw on one of my front calipers. (Yes I had applied PB blaster before tring to open it):blackeye:
There is still a bit of the screw sticking out of the caliper. Is it possible for me to just replace the bleeder screw or do I now need a new caliper?

This is all going to depend on whether or not you get that screw out!
If you have a welder you could tack a rod/screw to the remaining bleeder screw and back it out that way.

Otherwise, vise grips... or try a dremel and cut a slot in the top of the remaining screw to "turn it in to" a flathead screw.

So if I do get the old one out, I guess I'll need to get the new one in quick before I get fluid all over, or is there a way to 'pinch' off the line?

Well, either way you'll probably need a bleed, at least on that tire.

Simply opening the screw doesn't make it "flow". Cap off the master cylinder and it "should" draw vacuum before it can flow out too much. Fluid flows when you pressurize it via the brake pedal.

It sucks air in when you release the pedal (creating a draw). left alone, it shouldn't draw or pour anything measurable.

Just get it out and then bleed that corner a couple of times to ensure no air.

Be really careful with getting that broken bleeder out. I've seen calipers destroyed by trying to drill the old one out and then tap the threads.

If you can't get it out without damaging the seat, you will need a caliper.

I think you may be better off getting new calipers. A pair of "loaded" (includes pads) front calipers from BAT are $100 + shipping - with no exchange.

Back